Thankful for Mitral Valve regurg

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauratx22

Hello-

I get it now....When I had severe mitral valve regurg, I thought "Why me?? I'm only 31 years old and I have a daughter" I wanted to get my Masters in Accounting and work hard and make good money...sure I might not like my job but who cares?? I am making money right? Taking life for granted....then after open heart surgery...three people died of cancer around my age with young kids...a bunch of women my age that I know are on heart medication.

It's like an awakening. I am one of the lucky ones! My "heart problem wont kill me, it'll just make life a little annoying" a cardiologist had told me. I reviewed what makes me happy and I love working with kids with autism/aspergers. I applied to be a teachers aide for Special Education to see if I want to become a Special Ed teacher...we are going on more vacations and I don't stress over spilt milk. Not chasing the money anymore, chasing happiness.....

I am eating very clean these days, nothing fried because I don't want to put that stuff in my body. I have 100% respect for my body. I am eating over 1800 calories a day of clean food and building muscle. Fitness and healthy eating are priority. I need to take care of myself before I could take care of anyone. Who knows where I would be if I didn't have a heart problem? My husband lost 30 pounds and is starting to lift weights because he is making fitness a priority after seeing his wife have open heart surgery.

I get it now. I am thankful for my life and I wont take it for granted anymore.

Laura

Good outlook Laura. Keep on thinking the way you and your husband are now and things will be much much brighter. The way I figure it, "it doesn't matter how many toys you have when you die, you are still dead"....Good Luck to you :biggrin2:

Great post Laura. I couldn't agree more. I shared some similar thoughts at my 1 year post-op mark, and while probably a few thought I was a little crazy when I titled the thread "The Best Year of My Life", it truly was, for many of the reasons you mention. Wishing you all the best.

Fantastic attitude! Always good to see the glass as 'half full'. All the very best,

Latest posts

Back