Thank You and a Tip

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bionic Orange

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Today is Thanksgiving in Canada and I have so much to be thankful for.

This picture is me 6 1/2 weeks post-op hiking a 700 feet elevation. Hopefully next spring I’ll be doing 4000 feet.

I have so much to be thankful for regarding the advice that I have received from members on this site. For me these were must-haves regarding the surgery that I learned about from here: sleeping in a real comfy recliner (I used to tease my daughter about her ugly fat-ass recliner that she lent me after surgery and is now my favourite piece of furniture in the world), white extra-large T-shirts, button down shirt, wedge pillow, and slip-on foot wear (in the hospital).

Thank you so much to Pellicle, Chuck C and all of the other INR management experts. Everything you have written I have found to be true for myself, and so far so good as my INR is stable. I can eat greens and all of the healthy foods I liked to eat prior to surgery.

The tip that I would like to share that really helped me is that I frequently listened to guided visualization meditations by Bellaruth Naparstek before surgery, in the hospital and in my recovery. The ones I listened to and found beneficial were: Cardiac ICU & Rehab, Successful Surgery, Anxiety & Panic (especially Warrior of the Heart), Relieve Stress, and Relaxed & Awake During Medical Procedures (for the cardiac cath prior to my surgery).

With gratitude,

William

IMG_0565.jpeg

Hey there,

glad you are doing well ... I love to see the good news stories (which in truth represent something like 98% of the cases)

Thank you so much to Pellicle, Chuck C and all of the other INR management experts. Everything you have written I have found to be true for myself, and so far so good as my INR is stable. I can eat greens and all of the healthy foods I liked to eat prior to surgery.

I hope you don't mind that I'll add this whole post into my "please read this" to panic stricken newbies.

Best Wishes

Thanks for the update William!

It is so good to hear positive reports like this and very glad to hear how well you are doing!

Like you, I was very grateful to have found this forum before my procedure. It helped me pyschologically and also it helped me to hear real world practical tips.

Great photo and looking forward to seeing the one from 4,000 feet at some point :)

Thank you for the recommendation. I am a believer in guided imagery meditations as well. I participated in therapy sessions where through guided imagery, they teach you how to remove stress, relax and meditate. The goal is to be able to use the technique anywhere and w/o the guide. It helps you recognize what is needed for one to relax. It works in surgical waiting rooms and hotel rooms on business trips.

Yesterday, I officially summited my first "real" mountain 7 months post-op at 5200 feet on snow pack with sketchy footing. I was pleased that my wife was able to keep up to me. 😁

If you can visualize and feel what you want, you are almost there to getting it. I did this for my whole recovery period. There were times where this wasn't as easy to do, but I did it anyway.

I am grateful. Thank you to all those on the forum.

Attachments

• IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday, I officially summited my first "real" mountain 7 months post-op at 5200 feet on snow pack with sketchy footing. I was pleased that my wife was able to keep up to me. 😁

If you can visualize and feel what you want, you are almost there to getting it. I did this for my whole recovery period. There were times where this wasn't as easy to do, but I did it anyway.

I am grateful. Thank you to all those on the forum.
I know I owe you a debt of gratitude, especially the YouTube video you shot after the surgeryand before the surgery improved my morale so much that we watched it with my wife, I am in the hospital room right now, I am waiting for the surgery I will take on Wednesday, but believe this, your video was really a great source of morale for me.

I know I owe you a debt of gratitude, especially the YouTube video you shot after the surgeryand before the surgery improved my morale so much that we watched it with my wife, I am in the hospital room right now, I am waiting for the surgery I will take on Wednesday, but believe this, your video was really a great source of morale for me.
That was truly an inspirational and encouraging video that Bionic Orange put up about his surgery and recovery.

@Bionic Orange I hope that you continue to link that video in future threads, as I believe that it will be very encouraging to many people facing future valve surgery.

I send you healing thoughts and wishes for a quick and full recovery. Your heart drawing looks so vibrantly healthy and beautiful. I look forward to reading your posts afterward when you return to running marathons again. You got this Jeff!

Back