Tattoo or not to Tattoo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Peachy

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with a query which I have. I was wondering if I need to take antibiotics before having any tattoos or body piercing done. I have not had surgery for a replacement aortic valve yet as I am waiting on an appointment to see the Surgeon. However I am always well warned that I must take antibiotics before any dental treatment. Does anyone have any ideas on the best course of action.

:)

Bad things enter through the mouth. I wouldn't get a piercing anywhere near the mouth without antibiotics.

I'm pretty sure tattoo's are ok. I had two a few years after my homograft. Didn't take any antibiotics. As I understand, there is no issue around tattoo's aside from the usual naysayers who go on about dirty needles and Hep C.
Kev

Hi Peachy-

Tatoos you can always get. Your heart might not be able to wait. In my humble opinion, it wouldn't be a good idea at all to get a tatoo prior to heart surgery. If something happened and you weren't able to have your surgery when you needed it, it could be life threatening. Not only could you risk infection, but blood borne illnesses.

Why take any chances. Heart surgery if tough enough!

Hi Peachy!

I would get antibiotics before the tatoo!! No matter if you have
get the tatoo before or after surgery. It is very important believe
me!! I have had endocarditis and you don't want it!! It is up to you but I wouldn't even get one. I am at a high risk since I
have had endocarditis. I am very careful about anything that like that now. Even a sliver scares me. I would take some information into the person who is giving you the tatoo and
let your doctor know. I don't mean to scare you just be very careful.
:) JBriau

Hi Peachy,

I asked a cardiologist this same question (1990), and his opinion was yes, you should have antibiotics before and after such a procedure because piercing or tatooing is invasive, with the latter even producing bleeding at times.

Like JBrian, I too have had endocarditis which damaged the aortic valve that I had replaced on 7/26. The infection caused me to stroke which drew attention to the endocarditis. It is nothing to take lightly, and I, too, am extra careful. My endocarditis was culture negative meaning no one knows for sure what caused it.

The doctors at that time (1998) were hesitant to OK piercing or tatooing since the valve was damaged. They basically told me that I was putting myself at a higher risk for reinfection. So I quit with the pierced ears, since I was often allergic to the ear rings which often caused inflamation, and skipped the tatoos.

Hope this helps. I would suggest speaking with a cardiologist not a family physician for further info. Good luck.
Dianne

Tattoo and higher Hep C risk?

Tattoo and higher Hep C risk?

I just got back from visiting my sis in Fl.
She read that people that have had tattoos done
have a greater risk of getting Hepatitis C in the future and she remembered that the risk was quite high. That would certainly keep me from ever getting one!
Gail

Agree with Gail. And, yes you can get an infection normal valve or diseased valve. If you must....take your antibiotics.

I would personally never mess with a tattoo. Healthy or otherwise.

I got my belly button pierced and.....

I got my belly button pierced and.....

was yelled at by the triage nurse in the ER when I ended up going down after bleeding for approx 6 hours. Apparently my INR was 4.2, and for what ever reason the bleeding wouldn't stop. I was told that I definitely should have taken antibiotics prior to the piercing. After 11 hours of bleeding and losing two pints of blood, the ER MD removed the ring and the bleeding stopped. Would love to try it again, but will wait until my INR is lower so I don't run into this again. Was considering a tattoo, but after this incident I figure I'll wait a little bit. (On coumadin for mitral mechanical valve for 19 years now)

NASHVILLE......sorry to butt in on this thread

NASHVILLE......sorry to butt in on this thread

Hi Everybody,

I've been having problems getting into VR.com for a couple of days with the result that the statistics for those attending the Nashville re-union may be a little out of date.

Anyone wishing to express a desire to attend may register by going to the REUNIONS section and posting on the thread 'NASHVILLE REUNION - REGISTER HERE'

Obviously it is almost impossible for me to read all posts on all sections of the forum, so only those folks who register on the above thread will definitely be included in our statistics.

Thank y'all for your co-operation in this respect.

I would never get a peircing. It is the worst idea especially with all the germs. I don't know about a tattoo, but I had my tongue peirced, and my belly button peirced, and ended up in the ER with my belly button getting cut out of me!!! Anyways, that's my advise to you.

To Joy

To Joy

Joy....
just had a moment to read through some older posts. Joy.....sure hope you are doing better. There are certainly things that I would never consider now that I have had valve replacement. We are ore susceptible to major infection of the valve. Was your infection pre or post valve replacement?

Now if that does not stop you all from doing anything invasive cosmetic......don't know what will. ;)

Latest posts

Back