Synthetic Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ozzie

I had my aortic valve replaced in Nov. 1998. I am 54 years old, I was given a synthetic valve instead of a mechanical valve. Also I am on aspirin therapy (one a day). I am wondering if anyone knows how long this type of valve will last before I need another?

Hi, Ozzie, and welcome!

I have a mechanical valve, so I don't know the answer to your question.

I think those who do know the answer to your question will want to know more information about your valve. I've seen some respectable numbers quoted for some of the synthetic valves.

Hi Ozzie and welcome.

From what I've read, synthetic should last you about 20 years. It may last longer or shorter then the expected, but it gives you something to gauge with anyway.

Where did you have yours done at? Who's the manufacturer of the valve? :)

If it is a tissue valve, you will likely get another 10-15 years out of it. A lot of it depends on what kind of valve it is.

Do you know whether it is a homograft (human freeze-dried tissue), stented porcine (pig valve with a stent that is used to sew onto), stentless porcine (pig valve with no stent to sew onto) or bovine (valve fashioned out of cow parts).

Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and each tends to have a little different life span.

A lot of it also depends on the age of the patient. For example, a stented porcine valve will not last very long in a very young person, but they do pretty well when used in elderly patients.

Regardless, you can certainly expect another 8-15 years or so from your valve, based on your age and the assumption there are no other complicating medical factors.
Kev

Hi Ozzie:

Welcome to the site. There seems to be a pretty wide variance in opinion on how long synthetic valves last. Age, type of valve, location of valve in heart, and plain old luck all seem to come into play.

I was told that a porcine valve would only last about me about seven to ten years - that for some reason younger women (I am 30) tend to burn through them pretty quickly. Something to do with hormones and activity level, I think.

Your heart surgeon and/or cardiologist should be able to give you some indication on how long to expect.

Melissa

Heart Valve
Hello Ross,

Being new to this board I don't know how to respond, other than by sending an email. I'll figure it out soon I hope. I had the replacement done right here in Portland Me. and I was told I had a Toronto Stent Valve I have a card that says ST. Jude Medical. that has a serial and model number on it. A friend of mine just had a replacement done on Friday and it got me thinking.

Thanks for the quick response............Oz

Hello Folks,

Thanks for all of the quick responses, this is truly an amazing site.

Valve ?

Valve ?

Ozzie,

Yes this is a great site. After reading the threads to your original posting, I am curious. What type and model valve do you have ?

Thanks
Daniel

AVR 7/02/03 CE Bovine Pericardial

Hey Daniel:

I was told I had a Toronto Stent Valve I have a card that says ST. Jude Medical. that has a serial and model number on it.

From what Ozzie sent to me.

Up to speed.....

Up to speed.....

Ross,

OK, can see that I was not paying attention...........

Ozzie,

Toronto Stent Valve is a Porcine (Pig) aortic valve that is manufactured by St Jude Medical. However, as far as I know this is not currently approved for use in the USA. Only the Toronto Stentless Valve (St Jude Med) is approved for use in USA and only approved in the last 5 years or so. Therefore, there is not a lot of data regarding its' durability. Based on my very basic knowledge of valves, I would expect the longevity to be in the 12 years or so (or more range) This varies greatly with each recipient. The main obstacle with all tissue valves is that they slowly calcify (harden/lose flexibility) and at some point in time will require replacement. A general rule is that the younger the recipient, the valve will calcify at a faster rate. People over 65 experience very little calcificaton. I am not aware of anything one can do to inhibit the calcification process.

Suggest you speak with your medical expert to verify your situation.

Thanks for the reply,

I guess I'm getting a bit nervous knowing that I will need another replacement at some point and time.

Try not to be nervous as you have no control over how long it will last. There's data that shows tissue valves can last 20 + years if were lucky or it may be less. I decided to go with a tissue valve knowing someday I would have a 3rd open heart surgery. We all make are choices for different reasons, but there is no wrong or right choice.

Ozzie,

When I had both my aortic and pulmonary valves replaced in 2001, I was told that if a tissue valve was used for my aortic valve that the max life expectency for that valve would be 10 years because of the work load the aortic valve carries with the blood circulation to the body. I was also told that if a tissue valve was used for my pulmonary valve that it probably would never need to be replaced again because the pulmonary valve only supplies blood to the lungs. I will be having my pulmonary valve replaced again Aug. 6th. It did not last two years and I was symptomatic 6 mos. after my first surgery. This is just my opinion but I think anyone who has to have a valve replaced and if their doctor agrees should have a mechanical valve. These tissue valves seem to be too big of a gamble.

Lettitia

Latest posts

Back