Surgery with hirudin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dano

In June of 2001, I had an ascending aortic aneursym with an aortic valve replacement. The valve of choice was a homograft (I think from Cyrolife, but could be wrong). The aorta was repaired/replaced with the aorta part that comes with the homograft and about 3 inches of Dacron. Had to go into the deep freeze, since the replacement was too near the arch. About a week after the surgery, experienced great pain in the leg. Turned out to be a blood clot. Back to the hospital - yee haw.

Anyway, had a follow-up check-up back in October and the Doctor heard a murmur. Echo showed that the new aortic valve was leaking (worse than my original). I think he rated it a 3+. Both cardiologist and surgeon are suggesting fairly prompt surgery to replace the valve. They seem to be a little hesistant with me waiting until Sept/Oct. So, to scheduled around work activities, I'm looking at a Jan 14th surgery. They are proposing at this time to replace with a St. Judes. Really didn't want the mechanical for the CLICKING and the Coumadin, but they are thinking it would be better at this point. Since we don't know why the homograft failed so quickly, I'm about inclined to agree.

Now, since I had the blood clot, they tested for Hepron anti-bodies and, lucky me, was positive. So, they are proposing using Hirudin instead. My surgeon and profusionist (sp?) have used it before, although not at the hospital where my insurance covers. So, on one front, we're trying to get them to get the equipment to monitor with Hirudin which is different than Hepron.

But, I guess my question was if anyone had been on the heart/lung machine with Hirudin and if there were any things to know about or consider or prepare for. Also interested if there is anything I should know about with a second surgery within two years.

Thanks ahead for any information.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe that one of our members, Joann was allergic to Heparin and had to use the anticoagulant that you mentioned.

Look up members John & Joann and send them a Private Message.

By the way, welcome to our wonderful group. You'll love the support and friendship you find here.

I'm sorry you have to face an additional surgery.

Latest posts

Back