Surgery Video

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bracken

I had aortic root replacement and reconstruction of the ascending aorta last year. During a follow-up visit my surgeon asked if I would like a digital copy of the surgery video. Of course I did! It is awesome, something I've watched half a dozen times. Such an amazing procedure and quite fascinating to watch. Many of us learn quite a bit about the surgery beforehand, but watching it actually performed, on your own heart, is something else. If you are given the option, and your not too squeamish, I highly recommend it.

How common is it for a surgeon to provide a post surgical video? If you were given the option what choice did you make and how did you feel about it?

That's amazing! Here in the Netherlands they never do that but I would have loved to see the video. I'm not sure they even video tape the surgery. Now I know they operated on my heart, but it would be so interesting to actually see the footage and realize what they did!

They never do videos of surgery in the UK ! I asked the surgeon and I asked a spokesman (also cardiothoracic surgeon) at the Society for Cardiothoracici surgery.

It was suggested to me that surgery is often videod in the US because there is more litigation there !!!!

My surgeon mentioned something about a video to my husband and sister after my surgery. He said he might want to use it for educational purposes. He was really excited about how my case turned out and was proud of his work. I'd take that with a grain of salt, but even his NP mentioned (when I saw her ten days later) that he was unusually happy about it. I'll have to ask her about the video. I'm not sure if I would watch it. Or maybe I'd save it for my first "valversary" when there's more time between me and the "event." (As I sit here feeling every pounding beat of my heart.)

I all but begged for a video or at least some pics and was given a quick no each time. I even asked as they wheeled me into to operating room but was told NO! Two days after surgery the anesthesiologist came into my room with great glossy pics. I changed the screen saver on my phone to the surgery pic. I think it helps to wrap my head around the whole thing. I got endocarditis which trashed my mitral valve so I didn't have much warning that this would happen to me.

Back