surgery update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BrooksM

I'm writing on behalf of Brooks. He had his aoric valve and stem replaced yesterday, 5-23. He went in the OR at 7:45, had about 1 hour pre-op. Surgery started at 8:45. Dr. Zehr thought he could fix the valve he believed to be bicuspid. It turned out to be unicuspid and not repairable. He has a synergraft valve from a 36 yr. old. He was on the pump for 111 min. cross-clamped and 135 min. total. His hemodynamics are at a gradient of 4. He has never had a perfect gradient before. He is being moved out of ICU this morning. He is not in a lot of pain, he describes it as a pain like a bone bruise in his sternum. He is sitting up and has had a light breakfast. Dr. Zehr is happy with all of his stats and says that he probably won't need to stay a full week as originally expected.

Great News!

Great News!

Thank you very much for the report about Brooks. This is good news to hear! He's sitting up and eating already..always good signs. Sounds like he's on the right track.

Please pass along our best wishes.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to update us. Please let him know that we are looking forward to seeing him back on the boards posting.

Wishing Brooks a full and speedy recovery,

Rob

Congrats

Congrats

Congratulations on a sucessful surgery and all the best for a speedy and uneventful recovery. We hope to see him here soon, On the other side of the mountain. All the best!!

That is truly great news! I'm so happy things are working out with a minimum of bumps. I can't wait to talk to him again.

Thank you so much for the update and please keep us posted.:)

Congrats Brooks and thanks to whoever has so wonderfully given us this report.

It brings back a lot of memories. It also is giving me courage to go through with it again.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will go with the SynerGraft on the second round. So, I guess I'll get kicked out of the club!

My prayers and thoughts are with you. Good luck with a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Steve

Please give Brooks my very best...I feel very responsible for having steered Brooks towards the SynerGraft valve, and for having referred him to Dr. Zehr. It is immensely gratifying to hear he is doing so well! Brooks is about my son Clay's age (Clay had aortic valve repair in December) so I was especially empathetic.

Eating one day post-op is a GREAT sign! His and Jennie Harris' successes make me all the more comforable with my own upcoming SynerGraft AVR.

Thanks for posting for Brooks--we all appreciate it!

--John

thank you so much for letting us know how well brooks is doing. please wish him all the best for us and we look forward to hearing from him soon. we are all thinking of him and hoping his recovery continues to be easy and smooth.
best wishes,
sylvia

surgery update

Well done Brooks!!!
Just keep the positive stuff going in the right direction.

To whomever posted the report ...thanx muchly.
We are waiting for the first report from Brooks himself with great anticipation.

Jack ( Welland )

Hi Brooks-

That's wonderful news. Many congratulations. Thanks to your friend who posted for you and we'll be waiting to hear the first person report.

Take care,

Thanks for letting us know. We always wait to hear.

He Brooks - you have wowed them all. To hear of your great success is wonderful. It surely is a better view on this side of the mountain, isn't it. We wait to hear from you soon as you are able and til then, we're leaving the light on for ya. God bless

Hi Brooks, I was glad to read where your friend had posted for you and you are doing well...Maybe they could print off all these e-mails and take to you while you recovery in hospital...Remember to get up and walk, walk, walk...I am 8 weeks post op and running all over this week-end with my 9 years old grandson..Crafts, fairs, Pig Out's...(in the South those are bar-be-que..all celebrating Memorial Day Week-end.. You will reach your 6-8 week..before you know it....Take care...Bonnie

Way to go Brooks!
Congratulations. I knew you would do well. Welcome to the synergraft club!
-Mara

yea!!

yea!!

Hey Brooks,

Boy, I am glad to hear this news!! I've been thinking about you all weekend, hoping that all went well, and from the post here it sounds like this is true. Fantastic!! Here's wishing you a speedy and full recovery!! Looking forward to hearing all the juicy details! :D

-Jennie

I'm Comin' Home!

I'm Comin' Home!

That's it, just checked out. It was all WAY easier than I thought. I am completely amazed at the quality of service throughout this entire process. From the moment we got here there was never any confusion, or waiting for tests. All the staff was extremely professional and helpful, never rushed or bothered.
I'm in the library on the 7th floor here at Mayo (St. Mary's) and I've got some time to kill before we need to catch a cab to the airport so I'll try to give a detailed account.
We arrived on Wed (5/22) the day before surgery to meet with Dr. Kenton Zehr and Dr. Abbass (Dr. Zehr's chief resident) both were completely up to date on my condition and had thoroughly gone over my tests and charts prior to our appt. We got to his office 1/2 hr early and they were in talking to us within 10 mins. Dr. Zehr's bedside manner was very reassuring, he was confident and answered any questions or concerns I had. At that time he told me there was maybe a 60/40 chance that they could repair the valve and make it a functional bi-cuspid valve, he went over the numbers and the success rates and that sounded really good. He said he wouldn't be sure until he was in there. In the event that it was not repairable we were going to go with the Crolife Synergraft Aortic valve and root replacement, this was all chosen by me ahead of time. I was wondering if there was a chance of having to make a 2nd choice of valve and he reassured me that regardless of what he found the Synergraft would work for me. After our meeting with the doctors we met briefly with 2 ladies that were running the Synergraft study and they went over it all with us. I also had an ekg right there and then we were done with Zehr's office.
At that point we were sent to the lab for a blood draw and to x-ray for a chest film. Both were very quick and painless, from there we went to the 1st floor to talk about the general surgery issues and received Hibiclens anti-bacterial scrub, Surgi-Grip hair removal and Bactroban nasal ointment.
We then went back to the hotel (which was a couple miles away near Mayo Clinic and Methodist) I didn't realize there were two completely separate campuses. That night I removed all the hair on my chest and upper legs, this took a while as I have more hair on my chest than on my head. We called the hospital to find out exactly what time to arrive the next day, they do not finalize surgical schedules for the next day until after 8 pm. I went to bed breathing much easier from the excellent and reassuring meeting with Dr. Zehr and the orderly fashion in which every thing was handled.
The next morning we woke up at 5 am and headed to the hospital, we waited and the lobby with the other morning surgery patients and families. They took us up a few at a time to get prepped. My family and I (wife Rebecca and parents) were put in a room and were briefed on Advanced Directives and a heparin study that I elected to be in. I put a gown and slippers on and waited to be taken for anesthesia. After a few minutes and some hugs and kisses I was off.
The anesthetic ward was fairly large (12-14 people, I think) and was partitioned by curtains. I was asked at least 6 times who I was and exactly what procedure I was in for. Then was taken into the operating room and put on the table. The anasthesiologists were very personable and put me at ease, I had some laughing gas and they started an IV then lights out.
I woke up in ICU with the ventilator on with my nurse Andrea and my wife and parents. I got frustrated and agitated with the vent on because I was trying to breathe on my own and not relaxing enough. I was still pretty out of it and gagging on the vent, Andrea gave me some morphine and I chilled out for an hour or so. I told my wife that morning that as soon as I woke up I wanted to know whether I had the Synergraft or the repair and how long I was on the pump. When I woke up again I was gagging on the vent but much more lucid, I motioned to my wife and she told me I had the Synergraft and had been on the pump for 135 minutes. I didn't know why I was still on the vent and kept gesturing and writing on a piece of paper that I wanted it out. Finally they took it out and I was breathing on my own with absolutely no problems. I was sure that from the time the first time and when I got off the vent was no more than 5 minutes, I later found out it was about 2 hours. I slept pretty much the rest of the day, and was quite comfortable. That night I only slept about 1 hr, but I felt fine, just not tired.
During the night after surgery I felt surprisingly good, I was able to crank the breathing tube all the way to the top (my nurse said she had never seen that so quick.) I spent the night listening to music and talking to the nurse (they have semi-private ICU rooms with 2 patients ea and 1 nurse) the rooms are all connected with wide sliding doors and are situated in a square around the doctors's/nurses station in the middle. The next morning around 9am my pressure dropped for just under a minute then came back up too high for the next few hours. During this time I could feel my heart pounding and had a few PVCs (6-8). By the evening I felt fine again and could not feel my heart beat a bit, I haven't felt another PVC since. I was on some pretty strong BP meds to keep and they were going to keep me in ICU until weened off. By 7 pm I was off the bp meds and in a private room Bp was 130/75 or so.
.... To be continued ( if you made it this far you probably need a break anyway) I need to catch a cab to the airport.

Ps. Huge thanks to John Cochran who stopped in with a MN goodie bag and Jennie Harris who sent a magazine and very nice card. They really made my day (more on this later!)

Brooks McIntyre
Synergraft AVR / Aortic Root
5/23/02 - Dr. Kenton Zehr - Mayo Clinic

just great & wonderful news, Brooks! now all we have to do is concentrate on regaining our strength day by day. congratulations to you & your wife!

take care & rest well!

ben

Good to hear from you Brooks, sounds like you aced it all the way. Congratulations and welcome to this side of the mountain. It's pretty neat over here. God bless

HI Brooks-

What wonderful news. You're doing so well! Congratulations on the wonderful surgical result and on your brand new heart!

hi brooks!
i was so happy to hear that you came through your surgery so well. congratulations!
i wish you a continued easy recovery and look forward to hearing from you again soon.
all the best,
sylvia

Latest posts

Back