Surgery to be rescheduled

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

The official word finally came through, surgery has been scrubbed for Monday. My White Cell count is pretty high and the chest X-ray doesn't look all that good either, so the decision has been made to postpone until this bug is gone. I'll have to go to my PCP and get a clearance from him before they will put me on the schedule again.

I got to watch my youngest son graduate tonight, which I think is a really great 22nd anniversary present to my wife and I. I really didn't think I'd get this one through school, as he's been bucking me the whole way. He did it and I'm proud. Proud of him and myself for sticking to my guns in getting him through.

Well that's the news for now. I'm more relieved. I didn't want any complications other then those that most experience, on this surgery.

Thank You all for being part of my family and great friends. I really appreciate the support that you've given me. Without this site, I'd definately gone over the edge for all that I've been through getting this far. :)

Hi Ross, Sorry to hear of the postponement, It must be very dissappointing, But as others have told you...Everything happens for a reason. Just concentrate this time on getting better and spending time with your family. Everything will work out and I wish you the vey best.
Congratulations to your son and wishing you a very Happy Anniversary!:D

Ross,

Sorry to hear your surgery was postponed. I know how long you've been waiting and how patient you've been. Better to have you at full strength rather than fighting a bad bug and trying to recover all at once.

Congrat's on your son's graduation. I bet he feels pretty good about it too. You must be proud.

Keep us posted.

Ross, it sounds like common sense has prevailed. I was really worried they were going to go to work on you when you were not at your peak. That's one thing you didn't need!

Congrats to you and your son...and happy anniversary.

Let us know how the battle of the bug goes....

I have to say that I was pretty edgy right up to 5:00 p.m., when I finally, after 3 calls to the surgeons office, got the official word. I was beginning to think they were going to go ahead anyway myself.

Disappointed-Yes and No.

I'm disappointed in catching this bug, but not disappointed that they are rescheduling. I'd much rather be going into this healthy, then going into it half sick to start with. Surgery and I don't get along when I'm healthy, so I can only imagine the outcome if they'd gone ahead while I'm like this. With my past Pulmonary problems, I've only got about 2/3 of my lung function as is. On the Pulmonary Function Test and Arterial Blood Gases, I scored low. They predicted 4.53 for my height and weight on the lung capacity test. I scored 2.77. ABG-Po2 and PCo2 were both way below normal. This alone had me shaking my head and saying NO.

Hi Ross-

We all want you in tip-top shape when you go under the knife. So get yourself healthy.

Take care and be well.

Hi Ross, Sorry to hear that your surgery has been postponed...Not to worry, we'll all be here to support you again when the new date is set....and you'll be just fine. I'll be 3 motns Monday. My 9 year old grandson came to spend the summer with me and I'm ready to rock and roll with him...Feel great. Bonnie

Here we are on Saturday morning and I get a call from the surgeons office. It seems there is something wrong in the blood test and they want me to see a Hematologist first thing Monday. Whatever this is about, it has to do with clotting times (aPTT). They had me stop the Coumadin 10 days before surgery, so I'm wondering what the heck is wrong now. :confused:

If it isn't one thing with me, it's another. I ought to keep you folks busy guessing for a long time to come.

Partial Thromboplastin Time (aPTT)

Interpretation of Test Results
Expected normal values: 24.3 - 35.0 seconds. I guess mine is 47.1?

Last edited:
Hi Ross-

Whatever the problem is, it'll get straightened out. Hematologists are good guys. Joe goes to one regularly for hemolytic anemia, and during his last foray with the post-op bleedout, the hematologists saved his life. They came up the master plan that stopped the bleeding.

Wishing you good luck.

Surgery to be rescheduled

Hi Ross,

Tough luck on the illness and rescheduling..I feel for you as I await word on my surgery as well. It can be an anxious time.

On the other hand..congratulations on you and your wifes anniversary and congratulations on your son's graduation..both are great life events and you should be justly proud.

Reminds me of an old ditty that has in it the words,
" whether or not it is clear to you the universe is unfolding as it should" - Desiderata

Best wishes my friend..hang in there!

Jack ( Welland )

Ross

Ross

Sorry to hear about the reschedule. I know how tough that can be. I had to reschedule on mine due to leg problems. We still do not know what causes the infection to appear. But Mine went fine once the infection cleared up. I understand the problems of the white cell count problem. My mother had RH and it wrecked havic on her blood counts. I will pray that they get normal fairly quickly. Am glad that you were there for your sons graduation. At least you were able to be there for him. You take care and get better soon.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Hi Ross,

What a bummer huh, but this is for the best I think. You don't want to go into surgery this way. It'll get rescheduled as soon as they think you're ready, and that day will be here sooner than you want it to.
Congrats on your 22nd wedding anniversary, and great that you were able to see your son graduate. What an achievement!

Anyways, keep that chin up, and we'll be thinking of ya!

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

hi ross!
so sorry to hear of the postponement, but as you said, everything for a reason. i truly believe that. you should go into this, as nancy says, in "tip top shape". please let us know what the hematologist says.
also, congrats on the wonderful celebrations. good to have you around for those!
get well soon, sylvia

Thanks everyone for the well wishes on the graduation and anniversary. I didn't mean to blow them off. I get a bit wrapped up in thought and forget to say these things.

I'm really beginning to think that computer monitors really can suck your brains out! I look at this thing, read, post, reply and then become zombiefied. At times, I don't even remember what I was going to type. :eek:

I hear ya Ross.! You have gotten that guy thru the Grad...very big deal..I got 4 of 'em thru and two thru college...Whew! It ain't over yet, tho..HeeHee...so stay strong!!!!! I celebrated 28 years in May and glad to hear you could enjoy that! All this stuff just fries our brains...My son graduated from UCSC 2 weeks after my surgery...You BET I made it..didn't make the party after tho..lol. Hang in...it's all been said...so (((((Hugs))))) to you and family.

Zipper

postponement

postponement

Dear Ross: Sorry to hear about your postponement. Congrats on your son's graduation and tour anniversay. I hope the lungs improve so that they can go ahead safely with the surgery. I note you have an aneurism. I had an abdominal aortic aneurism operation in 1996. The surgeeo put a Y shaped plastic sleeve in my aorta just where it branches to each leg. I've been fine in that area since and legs are fine' kidney function etc. I'm praying all goes well for you.
John briggs

Dear Ross:

Just wanted toadd my two cents. Sorry to hear, but glad to hear, that your surgery was postponed. You certainly aren't well enough to be facing this surgery. However, I am sure it will clear up relatively quickly, and you will, finally get on your road to recovery. Also, congrats on the anniversary and graduation. Both, important life events.

Best wishes this week..................

Marybeth

Hey Ross!

Hey Ross!

I came down with Bronchitis 7 weeks ago and Laryngitis to boot. The doc prescribed antibiotics for the Bronchitis and I guess that helped a bit, but he Laryngitis lingered on and on.
I called the office about three weeks later and the doc said there was nothing else he could do for me at this point.
Last week I just couldn't stand it anymore and called the office again because my voice was still very labored. He prescibed "Allegra"($23.40 for 7 pills) Allegra is an allergy pill.
I took the last pill today and I can say my voice is 90% back to normal. Still have to drink lots of warm liquids to keep it going.
I just hope your problem won't take as long as mine but I've heard from people where I live that it can take anywhere from 4-10 weeks to get completely over this.
Wish I could bring you lots of warm chicken soup. (YUM:))

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

Hi Ross,

Congrats on your son's graduation; just graduated a daughter myself.

About the surgery, I'm glad to hear they're rescheduling; I always believe in taking the time to do it right. Getting it right, doing it at the most optimum time, is paramount.

Sorry to hear about the blood problems. Hope they get it all straightened out quickly and get you back in tip top shape to take on that big mountain so we can congratulate you on the other side.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Steve

Christina

Week #3 and still congested and loss of voice.
I've been taking Allegra all the way through this and so far, it hasn't helped a bit. Neither did antibiotics. Why do Doctors ask 1000 questions when you can't talk? I think I'm going to go to whisper mode, that might even hold their attention better. ;)

I don't know what bug exactly this is, but it sure doesn't want to let go at all.

I went to the Hematologist yesterday and had the tests repeated. The results were the same. The PTT on this one was 47.8, but the PT or INR 1.0.
Right now, the Doc doesn't know and neither do I. He is running more tests (6 more vials of blood) and should have most of the results back by Thursday or as he put it, enough to give him a good idea of whats going on. So I have to go back Thursday and see him again.

I'll keep all of you posted when I know.

Thanks Steve!

Last edited:
Back