Surgery Thursday 5/3/2012 at Cleveland Clinic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic news! I'm glad that the surgery went well. I hope the recovery process goes smoothly for her. Make sure she gets as much rest as possible, which will be hard to do during the night with all of the interruptions. Take as many strolls down the halls as she can handle. It really helps the recovery process to move around. Take care!

Tom

She is recovering well. Only bump so far is a low blood pressure, but that now seems under control. She was released from the ICU at 2:30 today, May 4 - 27 hours after arriving at the ICU. Once in the step down room she was able to sit in a chair and eat her dinner. Good appetite and looks pretty good. They plan on getting her up more tomorrow and walking her around. Fingers crossed for more good progress. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Great!!! She will feel loads better tomorrow when she is moving around more. The more we move the faster the anestesia gets metabolized and out of our bodies and more we feel like ourselves again.

Good to hear that things are progressing well. She'll soon be rewarded with that wonderful first shower after all the tubes are removed, which was my favorite memory of my whole hospital stay.

Sounds like everything is going in the right direction. Hope today brings lots of more positive steps forward!

Hello All! I am happy to report that I was released from CCF yesterday, 8 May. We are staying at the Intercontinental that is attached to the hospital via skyway and could not be happier with the arrangements. My husband is an angel. I am scheduled for a round of testing on Friday including chest xray, blood test and EKG and then with meeting with Dr P's staff for checkover/checkout! Hopefully all will go well. We are concerned about low hemoglobin and are hoping there will be a nice jump in the number by Friday. Fingers crossed! Other concerns included back flank pain on one side. I am also interested in how long ppl took percocet.....did anyone have hallucinations with it or other side effects? I also have Tramadol available which I have tried a few times. Thanks to all! Did I say my husband IS an angel!

Awesome news!!!!! I was on pain killers for just 2 weeks, my drug of choice was Tylenol 3, it's a lot milder and weaker than Percocet or Tramadol, and also less addicting. I also have a protocol to stop taking the pain meds that I wrote up here: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/entry.php?58-Getting-off-of-Pain-Meds-Protocol You can probably do it faster, but this one is pretty easy to follow to wean yourself.

Much props to your husband for being so awesome too. I hope he is getting some great brownie points for all of this - j/k.

Kismet,
Re: Percocet and hallucinations
I get nightmares & hallucinations from Percocet and Demerol. I tried each once at night after C-sections. The nurses said I had to have something to rest properly. They were no rest at all for me. It was fantasia the movie whether my eyes were open or closed, and if I fell back to sleep it started up with the same pink elephants all over again.
I can't make it as far as the bathroom on Tylenol 3. Halfway there I'm a tree falling over backwards--timberrrr. So usually I'm better off with Ibuprofen and benedryl. But everybody reacts differently. You might not have any trouble at all.

Great news! I had an angel too...don't know how I'd get through without him.

Those strong drugs make my stomach turn, so I was on Regular Tylenol by day 4 or 5 post surgery. After awhile they did let me work in a little Motrin between Tylenol doses, but the anti coag clinic doesn't like that much. My biggest pain issue was the back flank one side like you mentioned as well as some other stiffness. I found that the best thing for most of it was walking and getting things loosened things up. And targetted deep tissue massages worked well too, but you need a good, well trained masseuse to make sure they understand all of the inner connections and avoid those that lead directly to your incision area. Often you find them assaciated with physical therapy offices rather than a spa for relaxation.

Latest posts

Back