Surgery this Wednesday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mitral valve area after my repair was 1.2 cm^2 which is meaningfully less than the normal 4-6 cm^2.
The repair pretty much gave you moderate stenosis then. Was that a known risk? I had the opposite- had severe mitral stenosis, ended up with moderate stenosis and moderate regurgitation. But having worsened regurgitation was basically guaranteed with the procedure I had (valvuloplasty).

Good morning Jeff,

First let me say that your artwork is amazing and beautiful. I'm sure your surgeon will be inspired to perform equally beautiful and amazing work.

I had my bicuspid Aortic valve and ascending Aorta replaced on Nov. 27th and my surgery and recovery went (are going) as well as I could've hoped.

A lot of that I credit to (for whatever reason) being able to stay in a positive mindset. I feel strongly that this plays a HUGE part in recovery.

I fully expected to be fearful as the surgery date grew closer but it just never really happened. Not saying that I'm super brave, I'm not... it just didn't happen. There were passing moments sure, but for the most part I knew I was in good hands, and I was ready to get on the other side of it.

The other big thing in my favor is that I'm active (surfing, paddleboarding) and in reasonably good shape, but nowhere near where you must be as a marathoner.

You're 10 years younger than me, in much better shape, so just stay positive brother... You got this!

Do your breathing exercises, when you feel like you can get up and walk... get up and walk.

Roughly 3 1/2 months after my surgery I was able to get back to my happy place.

This is my very first wave after surgery, and the Dolphins that came by to welcome me back.

Attachments

• 1st wave Post-Op 3-10-24.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Post-Op Dolphin 3-10-24.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 0
Good morning Jeff,

First let me say that your artwork is amazing and beautiful. I'm sure your surgeon will be inspired to perform equally beautiful and amazing work.

I had my bicuspid Aortic valve and ascending Aorta replaced on Nov. 27th and my surgery and recovery went (are going) as well as I could've hoped.

A lot of that I credit to (for whatever reason) being able to stay in a positive mindset. I feel strongly that this plays a HUGE part in recovery.

I fully expected to be fearful as the surgery date grew closer but it just never really happened. Not saying that I'm super brave, I'm not... it just didn't happen. There were passing moments sure, but for the most part I knew I was in good hands, and I was ready to get on the other side of it.

The other big thing in my favor is that I'm active (surfing, paddleboarding) and in reasonably good shape, but nowhere near where you must be as a marathoner.

You're 10 years younger than me, in much better shape, so just stay positive brother... You got this!

Do your breathing exercises, when you feel like you can get up and walk... get up and walk.

Roughly 3 1/2 months after my surgery I was able to get back to my happy place.

This is my very first wave after surgery, and the Dolphins that came by to welcome me back.
Your writings have been a great source of morale for me, thank you very much again. 2 hours ago I had a heart angio from my wrist. I expect to have surgery on Wednesday.
I would like to know whether you had your aortic valve replaced with a metal or biological valve.
By the way, I saw your wonderful photographs with envy

Your writings have been a great source of morale for me, thank you very much again. 2 hours ago I had a heart angio from my wrist. I expect to have surgery on Wednesday.
I would like to know whether you had your aortic valve replaced with a metal or biological valve.
By the way, I saw your wonderful photographs with envy
Wow, I have to say... it does my heart good to know that my experience has in some small way helped you. Thanks for saying that.

There was a gentleman in another forum I'm on ( Toyota Tundra owners, completely unrelated to this stuff) who shared his experience about having an episode and getting some stents, and subsequent improvement/recovery, and I remember it helped put me more at ease so I wanted to share my experience, in the hope that it may be of benefit to someone else in the same situation.
We're all in this together right?

I chose a tissue valve, mainly because I didn't want to be on blood thinners. I really didn't even give it that much research or thought, so don't base your decision on mine without more due diligence.

I've always led kind of a rough and tumble lifestyle, and frankly at 61 now I bleed enough as it is just from playing with my dogs!

A large part of my decision was just because of the amount of time I spend surfing. Surfboards have pointy ends, and the back of the fins are pretty sharp.

I don't get cut often, but it does happen, and some of them have been pretty nasty.

Since we did the valve surgically now, I'm hoping that if/when it needs to be replaced they'll be able to a TAVR.

Ironically, my sister who is 10 years older than me, had a TAVR done about 2 months before my SAVR and is doing very well. My father had his valve replaced when he was probably about my same age.

Hi Jeff,
I would like to correct some mis-information you have been getting here on this forum. The truth of the matter is the more active you are the LONGER your valve will last. Athletes have a slower resting heart rate which translates into longer valve life. I am an active powerlifter with a resting heart rate of 55 bpm. My bovine valve is now 20 years old and going strong. I was 49 at the time. I expect to get another 10 years out of it. Also I don't recall you asking for any advice on valve selection but there are people here who can't resist telling you why you shouldn't get a tissue valve at your age. These are mostly people who opted for a mechanical valve and now regret it. As they say misery loves company.

Last edited:
The truth of the matter is the more active you are the LONGER your valve will last.
the truth of the matter is that its complex. There is a middle range where being active is good for you and has no harm on your valve. There is a lower end range where being sedentary is simply bad for you. There is an upper end range where it will wear the valve out faster due to biochemistry and due to physical wear. This is well documented to anyone who looks for it (and can read it).

As they say misery loves company.

which no doubt is why you want to drag people down.

A quick read of recent events (between now and your last drive by shooting) shows quite a number of posters who got to the 10 year mark and are facing redos soon. Just accept that for whatever reason you are a statistical outlier and that its not because you do X Y or Z its just because you were lucky.

Survivor bias is all it is (well and pride).

I don't get cut often, but it does happen, and some of them have been pretty nasty.
not that it matters, as you've already made a choice, but for other readers this is an insignificant issue. Deep cuts are not effected by ACT and will require stitches ACT or not. You will not bleed more unless its a non-life-threatening cut.

IC bleeds will be bad no matter who you are.

If it's complicated then quit telling people the valve will wear out prematurely in younger or active people. And it has nothing to do with luck and everything to do with my lifestyle.

Last edited:
Greetings, I live in Istanbul, Turkey.
On Wednesday 28 March my aortic valve will be replaced with a biological valve. Tomorrow I will have cardiac catheterizatio and other tomography.

I just noticed this forum. The positive feedback I read here has improved my morale before the surgery.
I hope my surgery will be positive.
I plan to present this picture I drew to the professor who will perform my surgery :)

View attachment 889999

View attachment 890000
last update!

My operation was successful. A mechanical valve was installed in my aorta. Today the drainage tubes in my abdomen were removed. I'm slowly recovering. I'm continuing breathing exercises.

@hevishot

I can only say then that I was very unlucky. My resting heart rate being 60, the bio I had installed at age 33 only lasted 8 years. There was no calcification. The valve eventually ripped during exercise (worn out like an old leather wallet). I always have had a very healthy lifestyle. So I suppose compared to you, I must be very unlukcy, but I am very happy for you that yours has lasted that long.

However most of the studies suggest that the odds are against you in terms of getting that type of longevity from a tissue valve.

last update!

My operation was successful. A mechanical valve was installed in my aorta. Today the drainage tubes in my abdomen were removed. I'm slowly recovering. I'm continuing breathing exercises.
Fantastic news, Jeff! 👍🏻 Welcome to the other side.
Take it nice and easy and things will steadily improve.

Wishing you the best for the days ahead and onwards to a good recovery.

last update!

Out-freaking-standing!!

👏👍

The two things they told me to be vigilant about was to do my breathing exercises, and get up and walk.

I remember getting the drain tubes removed... that was interesting.

As he pulled them out I felt one rubbing across muscles up in my traps/neck area. "Jesus dude, how long are those things?!" 😲

Out-freaking-standing!!

👏👍

The two things they told me to be vigilant about was to do my breathing exercises, and get up and walk.

I remember getting the drain tubes removed... that was interesting.

As he pulled them out I felt one rubbing across muscles up in my traps/neck area. "Jesus dude, how long are those things?!" 😲
I almost fainted from the pain when they removed one of the drainage tubes (the one close to the lung). I am now lying on my back in the hospital, my neck and back are very painful. The pain in the sternum area is slowly disappearing, but I can ask the nurse in cardiovascular surgery to give a sedative injection:)

I almost fainted from the pain when they removed one of the drainage tubes (the one close to the lung). I am now lying on my back in the hospital, my neck and back are very painful. The pain in the sternum area is slowly disappearing, but I can ask the nurse in cardiovascular surgery to give a sedative injection:)

I know it is hard, but putting in the work now will pay off long-term. We are all in pain (and in my case feeling quite high) when we get out of surgery. But getting up and moving around is great for at least two reasons: 1) You start getting your strength back 2) Your lower your chance of bloodclot, which is a bit higher in the first three months after surgery regardless of valve....

I would also recommend that you do Cardiac rehab if available. In general taken up exercise will allow your heart to optimally remodel in the next year or so and your long-term prognosis will be better.

But the first steps are always the hardest, so congrats on getting up and walking.

Back