Surgery scheduled 4-24-02

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoVeNY25

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know, I finally have a surgery date. I will be having my aortic and mitral valve replaced with St. Judes mechanical, and my tricuspid repaired on April 24th. A little more than 3 weeks. I'm very anxious and if I could do it tomorrow, I would. The waiting is agonizing. I have to go this weekend and get my wisdom teeth removed, the surgeon thinks it's best if I do it before I go on the Coumadin. I will keep you all updated, My parents will bring our laptop to the hospital if I feel up to it, Maybe play a little Solitaire. :)
I also want to say thank you to everyone, This site is so, so, so wonderful and I feel so blessed to be in the company of all you angels. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and my valves.
:D

Nicole, 19
Queens, NY
Patiently waiting 4-24-02
AVR/MVR and Tricuspid repair

Wow Nicole-

It's coming up pretty soon. Just enough time to prepare and not too much time to worry. You'll do just fine, and you'll feel so very much better after the first couple of weeks.

I wish you all the best.

Nicole,

My thoughts and prayers will be with you as you prepare for surgery on April 24. A few days in the hospital and a few weeks of recovery will be worth the effort! You are young and have many great years ahead for you. This "bend in the road" will help you enjoy them more. Keep us posted!

Dave M

Nicole - Good luck with the surgery. I will be out here saying prayers. By the way, I was born in Queens just several decades ago.

Hey Nicole! Good Luck! You'll do great.
My guess is that you won't feel like playing solitaire while in the hospital, but hey you just might!

The thing that helped me deal with anxiety was knowing that after the surgey I was going to feel so much better than I had in the previous year! You can get through it and you'll be feeling great. It's big and scary, but not really as bad as you have it in your mind that it is. I bet you'll cruise in and cruise out.

Tell your mom to stock up on popsicles, they are a great post-op treat!

-Mara

This is the hard part

This is the hard part

Hi Nicole,

It sounds like everything is moving along for you. Now that you have the hospital, the surgeon, the types of valves, and the date set, all you really have left is the waiting. Unfortunately, this is the hardest part. You'll be wishing it was sooner, just to have it over.

These may feel like a long few weeks, but when the 24th rolls around, you'll be ready. Stay positive and focus on how well you're going to feel a few months after the surgery is done.

Don't worry about the operation itself or the recovery period. There's very little pain and the recovery is managable. You're in good hands, you're young and you have a lot going for you. You'll do fine.

Keep posting duing the next few weeks. We all know what you're going through and we're here for you.

Ron K

hi nicole!
everyone is right, the waiting is the worst. just try and keep yourself busy and before you know it, it will all be behind you.
where are you having the surgery done? who is your surgeon? i used to live in jamaica estates and taught at the shield institute on roosevelt avenue in flushing for several years.
we will be here to keep you company while you wait for april 24th. until then,please keep coming back and visiting with us.
be well,
sylvia

Nicole

Nicole

Glad you are getting all the dental work done anyway. It is so that you have no chance of having infection go down to the heart during and after surgery. I had to take six months to get mine done because the first dentist played with my time for four months. I am glad you are getting your done quickly. And am happy that you have a date. You visit often. We are here for you.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Surgery Date!!

Surgery Date!!

:) Hi Nicole, Good thing your getting your 3rd molars out now. That will be one less thing you have to worry about. Are you going to an Oral Surgeon? I know your worried about your upcoming surgery for you heart. But it will all be over so quickly. I have just completed my l0th week and it seems like yesterday.
Remember you have lots of friends here to be there for you. If you need us will be here for you. Just put it into Gods hands.

Be thinking of you 4-24-02. Syl:( :(

Boy Girl... you are really going through the wringer!! I will say a prayer for your swift recovery. Just remember to try not to do too much after the surgery. My surgeon told me that heart surgery is harder on us young chicks (hee hee) because we won't admit that we need to slow down. Okay... I have to admit here that he was right... and if I would have listened to him I wouldn't have broken wires! :D

Take care and we'll count the days with you!!!

Zazzy

Thinking of you!

Thinking of you!

Hi Nikki,

You'll be on the other side of surgery before you know it, and in a few weeks you'll feel pretty good. Very little pain, just discomfort, but with pain pills you'll get through it just fine. You are young and that is in your favor.
The waiting is the hardest, we all have been there, but we are here to hold your hand and guide you along the path we all have taken.
Good plan to get that dental surgery out of the way. Pain in the you know what to go off the Coumadin and have it done then, so it's better to get it over with now.
Get rested girl, and go for it!
We'll be thinking of you!

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

my surgery on same day!

my surgery on same day!

Hi Nicole!
I also am having my surgery on April 24 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. My aortic valve will be replaced with a Cryolife Synergraft aortic homograft. I have a daughter your age, so I'm sending you extra special hugs and good wishes during this challenging time. The things I think of to help reduce the stress are:
We will be in the hands of highly trained and caring professionals; the odds for this type of surgery are hugely in our favor; having the surgery in the past will be much better than having it in our futures; getting our health back will be so great!

My thoughts and prayers will be with you on this special day!
--John Cochran

aortic stenosis and insufficiency; Synergraft aortic homograft on April 24, 2002.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you all for the wonderful support and enncouraging words, I'm trying hard to picture the mountain. I've been very anxious and knowing I have all of you for support and knowledge has been great. The days have been going by fast and I know I'm just that much closer, I will be sure to keep you all posted! Thanks again!!!

John Cochran- My thoughts and prayers will be with you on the 24th and we'll both be on the way to speedy recoveries!

-Nicole, 19
Patiently Awaiting Dual AVR/MVR and
tricuspid repair 4-24-02

Surgery Date

Surgery Date

Hi Nicole. Well you probably know alot more now than you did before. I was the same way. Knowledge does help. I was aware of so many things, thanks to all the good people here.
I felt alot more prepared for everything. And when it did happen , I was ready. Time goes so quickly, you'll be amazed.
Have you in my prayers. Let us know how you are doing, OK?

Syl:)

Hi Nicole,

I want to wish you good luck on your up coming surgery in 10 days. The time will go quickly. Put your fatih and trust in God and your Surgeon. You will be in good hands and before for you know it you'll will have reached the top of the mountain!:)

Getting the dental work done now will be one less thing you'll have to be concerned about later, with the Coumadin. That will be a relief!

After surgery don't try to lift anything too heavy for a while. Like Zazzy said, you don't want broken wires! You'll start feeling more like your new self a within a few weeks after surgery so hang in there!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please have someone keep us posted as to how you are doing. Take care and God Bless!:D

Latest posts

Back