Surgery postponed; SynerGraft update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

My surgery was supposed to be today (4/24/02) but the right size valve is still not available. I guess I need a 23mm to 24 mm, and will be contacted when one becomes available for my planned Cryolife SynerGraft aortic valve replacement.

The following is from a Cryolife press release yesterday, updating the progress with SynerGraft implants (note that almost all are pulmonary valves, since they just started doing aortic valves this year). In the small number of valves that had to be removed, the good news is that they had all repopulated with the patient's own cells.

From the Cryolife press release:
SynerGraft Allograft Valves and Vascular Grafts Update

On the allograft side of the business, since February 2000, there have been 987 SynerGraft processed allograft heart valves implanted in people throughout North America. Of these valves, 982 remain implanted at this time. Five have been removed. Histological examination of some of these valves indicated that they did repopulate with the patient's own cells in vivo. Examinations also confirmed that the PRA (Panel Reactive Antibodies) levels were significantly reduced in the patients that were implanted with a SynerGraft processed allograft valve.

Hope your valve is available soon!

Hope your valve is available soon!

Getting all geared up for surgery then having to wait can't be fun. Thanks for the Synergraft numbers, those are very encouraging.

Brooks McIntyre
Severe AI, Bicuspid Aortic valve, aortic aneurysm
AVR Soon

John-
Thanks for the info
As one of those 982 valves, I think that is terrific news!
Here's hoping you get yours really soon.
I just heard from Jennie's pals, and she DID get the CryoLife, so you're next to join the club.

-Mara

Sorry to hear that your still waiting, but those numbers are interesting, to say the least. I hope yours isn't too far off in the distance here. Keep us posted, as I'm sure you will.

Thanks for sharing that info John. Very encouraging.

I'm still among the 982; hope to remain among the success stories a while longer. Saw my cardiologist this morning and he was very pleased that I am doing much better again. From the echos and cardiac cath, he says that through one of the three valve flaps is where the leak is occuring, although they still don't know why. Yet, he says the leak is now mild rather than moderate. In any case, no more wooziness, which to me indicates that was due to getting used to the meds.

However, he wants to double my daily dose of Accupril from 20 mg once a day to the same twice a day. Does anyone out there have experience with Accupril and have anything to say about doubling the dosage? I'm a bit concerned about getting woozy again. He's having me resume wearing an event monitor for a few more days just in case I have any problems with it.

Anyway, we're praying for you John and I'm sure that you will be on the other side of the mountain soon. I hope that you're not suffering the wait too much, although, besides the emotional stress, I'm sure working out the logistics is a nightmare as well.

Actually, I waited for 25 years after I was told I needed surgery the first time. Now I'm on the waiting list again! Must be our karma!

Good luck and God bless.

Steve,
I am SO glad to hear you are doing better! Sounds like the meds made for some rough going. Mild regurgitation versus moderate is encouraging, and I just wonder if it might improve some more as your valve continues the remodeling process.

Thanks for your prayers and thoughts...this waiting business stinks! However, tomorrow I think I might drive down to Rochester (about 90 miles) and visit Jennie, who is doing quite well so far with her new SynerGraft aortic valve. If I do go, I'll ask Jennie if she'd like me to post anything for her on my return. I really feel for her--going through this surgery with no family there to support her. Maybe I'll bring her a Jim Beam IV drip!

Steve, please keep us posted on your progress--you're our pioneer and we all are pulling for you!
--John

Last edited:
I like to hear about the progress the SynerGraft is making. I had just heard about it when I needed my aortic replacement in '00. Chose a homograft. If and when I need to have it replaced, I would seriously consider the SynerGraft. Thanks for the input and we will be thinking of you and sending prayers your way for your upcoming surgery.

Latest posts

Back