Surgery for MV Repair Scheduled - Finally!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeL16

Hi All,

First, I wish to thank everyone who responded with their experiences and recommendations.

After a consult with 2 Cardiothoracic Surgeons, whom were not all that experienced with Mitral Valve OR minimally invasive surgery, I decided to contact a Surgeon who worked a miracle!

Dr. Beaver, who is now up at Shands in Gainesville, had operated 11 yrs ago on my then 40-yr old sister at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa to remove her lower left lobe, due to lung cancer. And as of her last CT, she still remains cancer-free! I believed he saved her life (with the help of the Lord!). However, she is now disabled (severe dementia and not mobile) due to 3 brain anyurisms(?) and a stroke at the end of 2003.

Dr. Beaver rarely performs lung surgeries anymore; but has been the Dir. of Min. Inv. Cardiac Surgery at Shands for over 9 years.

After sending all films, discs, medical reports and background to him this past week, I had a long phone consult with him. I was well prepared with my questions and concerns.

He will be able to do the surgery via minimally invasive to correct the leaking MV, and at the same time do the 'MAZE' for my A-Fib. The incision will be under my right breast and he indicated surgery should take 3 to 5 hours.

The BIG DAY is Friday, October 30th!

It's a long road trip up to Gainesville, especially for my sister, but I believe he is the best there is in Florida.

The only thing which troubles me, is that he (as well as the 2 other surgeons I met with) cannot guarantee that I will no longer have palpitations or be short of breath. Also, that I MIGHT still have to take meds.

I was wondering if anyone here had these symptoms prior to MV Repair surgery - and what your outcome was. I realize everyone's body is different, but would like some feedback on the above.

At this point, I actually feel relieved that I found a top-notch surgeon (and hospital) and that I can finally put this chapter of my life behind me, look forward to recovering, and having a sense of a renewed, healthier and better life!

Thanks for any and all input.

God Bless!
Dee;)

Welcome dee16! I am sorry that I don't have any answers to your questions. I am sure someone will chime in with some input soon.

Glad that you have found a top-notch surgeon and wishing you all the very best on the 30th! Best wishes, (P.S. I am scheduled a few days before you!).

Hi Ottawagal,

Thank you for responding.

I wanted to take this time to wish YOU all the best for your upcoming surgery and recovery.

Don't know if anyone here with MV leakage & A-Fib symptoms as I have, and have been told the same thing by their surgeon as I have been. If there is, would love to hear from them!

Wishing you the best!!

Dee

Hi Ottawagal,

Thank you for responding.

I wanted to take this time to wish YOU all the best for your upcoming surgery and recovery.

Don't know if anyone here with MV leakage & A-Fib symptoms as I have, and have been told the same thing by their surgeon as I have been. If there is, would love to hear from them!

Wishing you the best!!

Dee

Are you asking if others have been told this part? "
The only thing which troubles me, is that he (as well as the 2 other surgeons I met with) cannot guarantee that I will no longer have palpitations or be short of breath. Also, that I MIGHT still have to take meds."

I can't imagine any surgeon who would guarantee that you wouldn't have any more rhythm issues or that you won't have to take meds after you have the MAZE.

Dee, I don't think you could find a surgeon who would make you the guarantee that you won't have palpitations or have to take meds after this surgery. I'm sorry to say these things to you, but I think you need to realize the following: Your heart is not going to like the fact that it has been messed with. You are going to now have scar tissue that in itself can cause rhythm issues. I don't know if any part of your heart is enlarged, but that can cause rhythm issues as well. And just plain and simple aging can cause rhythm problems. So, at any point going forward, for an array of reasons, you may have to take meds for your heart.

The maze will hopefully keep you from going into a-fib or flutter. I had one, and it has been successful from that standpoint. But other issues can pop up. Not trying to spoil anything for you, just trying to be realistic.

Kim

Back