Surgery delay after pre-op testing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, surgery proceeded as scheduled last Wednesday November 11th. Surgery went well and recovery so far has been excellent, I am now five days out and have been discharged for nearly two days. If I understand correctly my hospital stay timeline was rather short for AVR with a full sternotomy, per the surgical notes skin was closed at 12:15 PM on Wednesday and just less than 72 hours later on Saturday I was discharged from the hospital. I credit my fitness level at time of admission and positive attitude for the early discharge.

Many of you are very passionate about tissue choice, after all why wouldn't you as it involves something so central to your very existence. After saturating my brain with information over the last five years, weighing my priorities in dreams in life I chose a tissue valve. It is not because I lack the requisite critical thinking skills, intelligence or organizational ability to manage anti-coagulation therapy. My job responsibilities require me to manage and assess risk on complex construction projects up to multi-million dollar valuations. I did not choose a tissue valve because I believe that I am more fit than an elite crossfit athlete (I believe that was a comment made by someone previously in this thread), though you've got to admit that I must be in pretty good shape to be discharged so early. I analyzed my lifestyle and life expectations and decided that even with the certainty of re-operation. I would rather continue to pursue that things that I find enjoyable and fulfilling. Can you honestly say that there is not some additional bleed risk, both external and internal, with mountain biking, skiing, etc.? Can you honestly say that it would not be a poor decision to add managing INR levels on a three month self-supported bike packing trip through South America? I have a high tolerance for pain, even with surgery fresh in my mind I have no regrets. If in the intervening period between now and the inevitable re-op I decide I made the wrong choice I can always select a mechanical valve the next go round.

Someone once told me that luck favors the well prepared. I prepared as best possible in educating myself as well as mentally and physically. Couldn’t outrun it, couldn’t out think it and couldn’t outspend it; just had to square up and face it head on. I can honestly say five days out from surgery that I have no regrets on timing or valve choice.

Glad it went well and you're happy with your choice,it is your choice after all. As for early discharge you must have been doing well or they wouldn't let you out early, at least I would hope not, but I don't think that's the only factor. The institution and the insurance company all factor in. I was in good shape pre surgery also and every single post surgery reading, test etc,, showed things to be optimal yet I was kept for 6 days.

Pre-authorization through insurance was for at least another two days. Surgery Wednesday, a few half hour walks Thursday PM, up at 6:30 Friday morning for the first of hour long walks throughout the day. Dr. Gillinov told the NP to pull the pacing wires around Noon on Friday as there was nothing more they could do but watch me heal. The hour long fast walk around the unit on Saturday morning probably helped cement the deal.

woulde, you don't have to justify your valve type decision, and I'm sorry if anyone here made you feel that you owed us an explanation. That aside, I'm happy to hear that you are up and about and well on your way to a speedy recovery.

Hi woulde
I find it mind-boggling that you were out in 3 days! I must admit I was very crook when I had my 'tissue valve'. I was 71 age, and struggled out in 9 days! I wish you all the best for the future. I am training up for a half marathon in May.
See Ya
Brian

Latest posts

Back