Surgery date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Susie,

Susie,

Thank you for the encouraging message. I know what you mean about the scare with the breast biopsy. That happened to me a few years back. It was nothing here too.
But you see , if it had been malignant, I would have been scared silly , but scared of the cancer. I would have been scared that they would not be able to get everything out, that the cancer would come back, etc..Not scared of the surgery itself.
BUT it is the surgery that scares me. I am worried about the after surgery stuff BUT what mainly terrifies me is what will be going on while I am asleep. I worry about dying, having a stroke,hemorrhaging. etc.
I am just plain scared is all.

Praline: nothing we say will eliminate your fear of the surgery. That being said, you need to concentrate on your surgeon's and hospital's expertise in dealing with this. They do this all the time, and do everything possible to effect a good outcome.

I was one of the unlucky ones whose biopsy came back bad; it was 15 years ago, and was awful. I'd go through any number of ohs's again rather than have to go through the breast cancer surgeries, chemo and radiation. And the years of not knowing one's status.

This is primarily a mechanical problem that's going to be fixed by great mechanics. Have faith and prepare for your recovery!

And remember - what happens in the operating room STAYS in the operating room. ;)

You mentioned part of your worry is after the surgery, and I can tell you one thing about that...at least for me, when I woke up from surgery I felt like I could have dealt with anything that came my way after that just because of the fact that #1 I was sooo happy to be awake and have made it and #2 I was sooo relieved it was over. Recovering from surgery might not be a bowl of cherries but once you know it's really finally over you almost feel like you could conquer the world. I was also worried about what was going to be going on while I was put under, but once I woke up, I didn't care about that either. I'm not saying it's easy, but I'm willing to bet you're thinking it's so much worse than it is.

You WILL do just fine and you will be so relieved when it's over.

*raises eyebrow*

Ya know ... I hadn't quite thought of it like that carista, but, my dear, you are absolutely correct. When I awoke after surgery (well, my last one, anyway, Jan 2003), I felt like I could conquer just about anything. Course, I had to get past the breathing tube and the mucus building up (at one point, I remember thinking to myself, 'Great, I make it through the surgery with flying colors, but my own mucus is going to kill me'...lol). But, once the tube was out ... I was already on my way to recovery. Granted, I had some "bumps" in that path, but here I am ... typing away ;).

And, Praline, we know you are scared ... and you have every right to be. However, try to put your mind on something else for a bit....something that makes you happy. In other words, think "happy thoughts" and see if you can put some of that "worrying energy" into something that you enjoy doing.

*pauses*

Heh...like I have any room to talk.... It is much easier said than done; I know from experience. BUT, it DOES help....

Praline,

I'm sure if I were facing surgery next week I would be just as scared as you are and having the exact same worries. (And unfortunately someday I will! :p And I'm counting on you being there to reassure me that all will go well) Anyway, I think you do have valid worries and no one is saying that you don't have reason to be scared; but you need to take the advice of the experts here who have been through it all and try and relax just a little so that you go into the hospital at your best and not worn out from all these pre-surgery jitters. I don't think that is good. Is there anything that the Doctor can give you to calm your nerves just a little?

Please take care!

Susie

Praline

Praline

Try to focus on your recovery at home..:) ..Get things ready for a nice recovery.Recliner, family in to help out for first few weeks..Someone to drive you to post-doctor appointments.......Remember when you check in to hospital. first thing they give you is a Good-feel shot.:D You should be out before you leave the prep room and know nothing until you awake.:D ...Hopefully with all tubes gone..Then, you need to get up and start walking the halls. helps get the nasty drugs out of your body quicker.:p ......Like others say, maybe your PCP can give you something to relax you for the next week...You need to be in good health. No colds, ect. Bonnie

Praline

Praline

I am guessing you have checked out the hospital and your surgeon. I love the analogy that this is a mechanical problem being fixed by a great mechanic. Unfortunately it is not your car. You will be given antianxiety meds and then you will go to sleep. When you wake up(which you will), you will be so glad it is over.
Recovery is not easy but at least most of it is in your hands and your control. Walking, breathing, eating, pain meds, sleeping ,etc. You will eventually feel so much better and this will not be hanging over you.
We are all here for you and have either had OHS or will at some point.
You know you can write any time day or night. Someone is always around.
Try to take a deep breath or ask for something to reduce your anxiety.
Keep posting.

You'll do great!

You'll do great!

Hello!

Prayers are coming your way. I had AVR on Dec. 28th and then an AICD implanted on Jan 3rd. I am at home today recovering, sitting in my recliner emailing you and telling you that you will do great and come through just fine. Have faith in God and trust him to get you through this. All things happen for a reason. Prayer is so powerful and God will get you through this. Make sure you have a wonderful anesthesiologist too and he will be your best friend...hehe! Mine gave me something (adivan, sp?) the night before and morning of surgery to help calm my nerves also. I was SOOOO stress free, I fell asleep and didn't care about a thing. I woke up from surgery coming off the ventilator and I don't even remember that now...thanks to my wonderful anesthesiologist. I told him I didn't want to remember any of that stuff this time around, and he made sure I didn't and I don't!

God Bless and let us know how your doing!!

THAT'S the biggest bummer of all: no chocolate because of the Afib!!

THAT'S the biggest bummer of all: no chocolate because of the Afib!!

Praline said:
Thank you for all the kind thoughts. It helps to see so many people who have been through this same surgery and are okay.
aussie gal, can't have chocolate .. no caffeine because of AFib.. . so please don' t tempt me..lol

I mean, puh-leeze -- scars? FEH. They heal. Tubes and wires? They'll be out before the drugs wear off (I promise). But when they told me caffeine and chocolate had to go...

So two weeks after I got home from my surgery, I went out with the family to a movie -- and did what any red-blooded, breathing human being ought to do in a movie theatre. I ate a whole bag of M&M's (peanut).

You know what? Not worth it!!!

You'll be fine -- better than fine. Better than you were before you went in. Just remember to bring your iPod for the hospital stay. It saved me from unspeakable boredom. :cool:

Praline said:
I can't believe that when I went to my PCP for a yearly check-up November 4th, I had no idea anything was wrong. And now 2 months later I am heading for open-heart surgery. And just as scared as I was when I found out something was wrong with my heart.

Praline, maybe it will help to know you're not the only one in this situation. I had a routine physical in November, felt great, Doc heard a murmer, said it should be checked out. One thing led to another, and I'll be getting my mitral valve repaired or replaced, very soon. My anxiety has risen to new heights, so I'm just trying to relax a lot lately with my favorite pastimes, reading, learning guitar, and model rocketry (oh, and spending time with my kids!). It helps get my mind off my heart. Take care,

-Paul

Praline said:
Thank you for all the kind thoughts. It helps to see so many people who have been through this same surgery and are okay.
aussie gal, can't have chocolate .. no caffeine because of AFib.. . so please don' t tempt me..lol

sorry bout that...I guess i shall have your share for you...ok...;)

Latest posts

Back