Surgery date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praline

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hello,
I have a date for surgery. Pre-op is January 12 and surgery is January 18. I went for a second opinion yesterday and made an appointment for a consultation with the surgeon for today.
He said that it was not an emergency but he felt that it really needed to be done soon. He thinks that the blockage needs to be taken care off and he discussed the possibily of a heart attack if let go too long. He suggested waiting no longer than 4 - 6 weeks. He said I could go home, think about it and call him in a few days. A few days won't change anything...It has to be done!! I just feel that the longer I wait, the more scared I will get. So I just scheduled it for January 18th.
He will repair or replace the mitral valve, do a bypass for the blockage, and maze procedure for the AFib. Of course my heart has been pounding since I made that decision. My hands were shaking so bad that I could hardly sign the check for the co-payment.
I can't believe that when I went to my PCP for a yearly check-up November 4th, I had no idea anything was wrong. And now 2 months later I am heading for open-heart surgery. And just as scared as I was when I found out something was wrong with my heart.

I know exactly how you feel, though I had a little more time than 2 months. I found out in Feb of '05 that I would need surgery and had it in December. I remember when I was talking to the surgeon and actually set the date for surgery I started crying. I NEVER cry in front of people I don't know very well. But it was weird because at the very same time I was relieved to have the date set. Don't worry you will do fine, and the anxiety leading up to the surgery is definately the worse! Best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery, you'll do great!

Carista

Everyone is pretty scared upon the realization that "it" is actually going to happen. Courage isn't doing something without fear, it's doing something despite the fear. You are courageous.

Once you have the surgery and get a nice recovery on the way, I think you'll find you have more energy and feel better than pre-surgery.

I know how you feel about the 'suddenness' of it all. I saw my PCP on May 5 and underwent surgery on May 16. At least I didn't have too much time to worry about it. The good thing is that the date will be here before you know it and you're going to be fine. Now, plan a strategy for some relaxation time... do something fun. You deserve it!

Cris

The waiting is the hardest part, I found out I needed surgery in August 2003 but it was not an emergency. I went through the usual tests and scheduled the surgery for January 6, 2004. It was a very tough 4 months; if you just found out recently and are getting it fixed on the 18th, that is a good decision. The stress of waiting for the surgery can't be good for anyone.

Today is my 2 year anniversary and I feel great! Hang in there and all will be fine.:)

I understand how you feel. After waiting for 18 months, I met with the surgeon on May 5 and received a surgery date of June 7. He actually wanted to perform the surgery the week of May 12, but I begged off due to school commitments.
Looking back, it would have been less stressful if it had been done the next week. Once you know it's going to happen, there's nothing to do except wait. Hopefully, the posts you read on VR will serve to reassure you that you will fully recover.
We'll be here to help you along the way.:)
Mary

Praline said:
Hello,
I can't believe that when I went to my PCP for a yearly check-up November 4th, I had no idea anything was wrong. And now 2 months later I am heading for open-heart surgery. And just as scared as I was when I found out something was wrong with my heart.

This is a tough cookie to swallow. I'm seeing my cardiologist on January 13th and may well be in a similar situation of heading towards the operating table in no-time. I feel OK, though. On the other hand, some people say "ignorance is bliss" and that a surgery so soon is not that bad. Just imagine the mental stress we'de have to endure knowing the operation is much later. My prayers are coming your way, pronto.

Hi Praline. I'm glad you made the decision to set a date. I would not like the heart attack business hanging over my head for too long. I've known about my condition for 30 years but they always said I'd be in my 70's before it went "bad". They were just off by 20 years! So for the last 2 years I've been in this holding pattern. Then, a few weeks ago when it became clear that the stenosis had progressed far enough to warrant a surgeon's consult, this big tough girl that I thought I was started falling apart a little. I know just what you mean about shaking! It's like they inject you with a high dose of emotion and your body just can't handle it all at once like that!!

But, you'll do great!!! Keep posting and let others help you through the wait. Hang in there! I may be close behind you! I'll know more after my first visit with the surgeon this coming monday, the 9th.

Don't forget to stop and "smell the roses" everyday!! Enjoy the simple things. Gather some pleasant images to take with you through this journey.

:D Marguerite

surgery date

surgery date

Good luck on your surgery. Mine it the same day including the 12th for pre surgery. Im having my Aortic valve replaced and the Mitral repaired here in New Jersey. My thoughts will be with you (trying not to think of mine) Good Luck Bob A.

Good for you. I know you're scared to death, but you will get through this. If you feel like you're falling apart, tell your doc - a little chemical help through this period is perfectly understandable and they REALLY don't want your stress to tax your heart. I personally gulped a few xanax.

Enjoy your next couple of weeks. Shop shop shop - it takes your mind off stuff.

I'm sending out prayers for courage as well to get you through til the big-day!....

I know I will fall apart mentally the day they tell me that "yep its time to operate"...! and yet today I can walk around and discuss "IT" with all the courage in the world and not a hint of worry...

I have seen how our members rely on this forum more than ever in those days/weeks before our surgeries...and isnt it great we can....

Its normal to worry,,,

I suggest a therapeutic-dose of Chocolate :D its actually good for the heart according to the latest studies ...

(((((((((hugs)))))))))

I wish you all the best and I am sure you will do well. Glad you are having the maze procedure. I have constant a-fib and really wish it would go away. However, I am not willing to go through another surgery to get rid of it.:(

Keep smiling, this will be over before you know it.

Praline,
Your pre-op and surgery dates are exactly one day prior to mine. I have known about my condition for about 7 years and did not expect to be having surgery at 36 but....looks like I will. Like many have said in this forum, realize that you are not alone in this trek and accept the tremendous support that this site offers. I am very thankful to have found VR.com and to have had the time to research my valve decisions instead of having the choice made by my surgeon. We are blessed to be in this position, have faith, relax (as much as possible) and trust that God will take care of the rest. Please keep us all posted as to how you are doing...you will be in our prayers!

Deane

Praline,
Glad you made the decision to have things fixed sooner rather than later. I found out 7/21 that I need OHS and had the surgery 8/15. Even that short amount of time made me a nervous wreck. I worked through 8/12. Tried not to think about it while I was at work. Took Ambien for sleep from 7/21-8/13.
Never would have slept without help. I wish I had known about VR.com before my surgery. I have learned so much from the people on this site.
We will all be thinking about you and praying for you and the others having surgery that day.

Praline:
I admire you for your willingness to take care of this so soon. Even though the time may be short, the waiting will be so very hard. We wish you the very best and will hope to hear from you soon after your successful surgery is completed. Please have someone post here for you to let us know of your progress. You have many people here who are interested in you and the results of your surgery.
Sending you my very best thoughts and wishes,
Blanche

Waiting IS the hardest part, as others have said.

And, if you're like some of us, you'll be "calm and collected" once you get to that surgery date ... I know I was.

Good luck ... thoughts/prayers are coming your way....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/quilt.html
"We got mountains to climb" ... Rod Stewart ... 'Broken Arrow'

aussigal, therapy won't work...

aussigal, therapy won't work...

Thank you for all the kind thoughts. It helps to see so many people who have been through this same surgery and are okay.
aussie gal, can't have chocolate .. no caffeine because of AFib.. . so please don' t tempt me..lol

Good luck to you - I'll check back after that date to see how you're getting along.
I discovered yesterday that my aortic valve will have to be replaced in the next year or so. even that considerably longer time span stopped me in my tracks, so I can imagine how you're feeling right now. Hang in there, the stats are all on your side for a swift and full recovery.

Best of luck, Praline. Use this time to indulge yourself and also to prepare for an uneventful recovery- lots of good suggestions in the forum for that! Sooner is better, and we know you will do just fine and be home telling us all about it and encouraging others about to climb the mountain.:)

Praline,

Wow things are moving quickly for you! I know you must be very nervous and scared but aren't you glad that your doctor discovered your problem at your physical and it didn't just sneek up on you and cause you a bigger problem like a heart attack or a damaged heart from the leaky valve? I know that is easy for me to say as I sit here in the "waiting room" - however someday I will be feeling exactly like you do right now. I can't compare it to OHS but last year I was a mess waiting for a surgical breast biopsy worrying about having surgery and what they would find (which turned out benign!). I think you are feeling exactly like you should feel at a time like this.

Please take care and try to calm down and rest a little! :)

You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Big Hugs!!!

Latest posts

Back