surgery date set

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csutherland

My husband's heart cath is set for Monday, Feb 11 with AVR either the 12th or 13th. The surgeon hears something in the carotid area and a test is being done there (I believe an ultrasound) on the 5th. He believes the sound is just referred from the stenotic valve sounds but wants to be sure before the cath. The surgeon and cardiologist both lean toward a mechanical valve and so does every person we've talked with who has had this surgery. As I stated in an earlier post, I'm afraid of coumadin for him, but on the other hand he's afraid of another operation down the road. For now it's looking as if the mechanical is winning.

Once you get a date, things begin to fall into place better. Someone will put the date on the calender (I don't know how) so we will all be aware and send along our best wishes and prayers. Please stay with us now as this is probably the most apprehensive time of the entire 'event' and we want to uplift as much as possible. God bless

Hi C - I wanted to wish your husband the best of luck. It sounds like the doctors are being careful. The mechanical sounds like a good solution for him. You are way ahead because you have looked at the alternatives and understand. Good luck to you too.

Hi csutherland-

It's good news that you have the surgery date for your husband. That means that he'll be feeling much better soon, and you'll have many happy years together.

Coumadin really is no biggie. My husband has been on it for 25 years and with no problems. It does go up and down, but he has had some wonderful people monitoring it, so he never goes out of range by too much, and not for long. He eats pretty much whatever he wants and they adjust accordingly.

You and your husband will get used to it, and it will become just another thing to do in life, almost like brushing your teeth. Small price to pay for having his heart fixed.

My very best wishes to you both.

Hi Csutherland,

I received my mechanical St Judes last April and have been fine ever since. The coumadin worried me at first too but you get used to it and it really isn't all that bad. The hard part for me was remembering to take it. I have my alarm on my pager set for 5 PM
and take it when it sounds and as a back up my wife always asks if I took my coumadin when I get home at night.
As to choice of valve I think I received the right one. It works fine and I hardly ever notice the ticking and most importantly the chances of my haveing to have this surgery again are very slim.
What ever you and your husbands decission we wish you well.
Ya'll are in our prayers.

Mike in Houston
AVR April 5 2001 St Judes Mechanical

I've added your husband to my prayer list. I think that you have made a good choice.... surgery down the road didn't sound too great to me either and I chose mechanical in the event that they couldn't repair my mitral valve (which they did!). I feel that any drug one takes could have a dramatic impact on our lives. I wouldn't worry overmuch about his having to take the Coumadin.

Good luck on the 11th and please keep us posted.

Take care,
Zazzy

hi csutherland!
we will be praying for your husband. in the meantime, we are here and will keep you company while you wait for the date to arrive. (as you must have read, the waiting is the worst!).
also, from what i've heard, it's the non-coumadin takers who mind it the most. most coumadin takers do not seem to give it a second thought.
good luck and be well. please keep us posted and up to date.
-sylvia

Hi!
My husband also worried about taking coumaden, as he is a general contractor, and was concerned about accidents. Of course, he hasn't been back to work since June 1st, so thus far that hasn't been an issue.
The first month or so of being on coumaden was a bit trying....attempting to get the dose in therapuetic range. But he has made a couple of friends in the nurses who do the test, and I actually think he likes going to get the INR tested!!!!
It really isn't a problem. He takes 8.5 mg. daily. Has leveled off nicely.
Don't be concerned......it really isnt bad at all!

Marybeth

Latest posts

Back