Surgery date set for my 2nd OHS, going mechanical this time

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cewilk

Met last week with my surgeon and we agreed on a surgery date of 15 January 2015. I had a Ross Procedure in July 2012 which didn't hold up and now I feel the right thing to do this time is go mechanical due to my age (26) and making the best potentially 'long-term' choice. I am also getting my ascending aortic anuerysm fixed.

The mech valves he uses are the St. Jude's and ATS. I've read some very positive things about St. Jude's but haven't seen much on here about ATS. According to my understanding they are all fairly similar. I will be having my procedure at Wake Forest Baptist Health Hosptial.

Anyone have any advice for the second time around? Was it easier the second time, about the same, or worse? Also, anyone have a St. Jude's or ATS mech valve and if so how's it treating you?

I'm not happy about having to be on anti-coagulants, but I am ready to get this over with and hopefully never have another OHS again.

Hi cewilk, congratulations on making your decision. It was a tough call for me (50 year old female) as well, but as I enter my 4th week of recovery I am happy with my choice. I was told the surgeon would choose between the St. Jude Regent and the Cabomedics Top Hat, with the St. Jude being his first choice and that's what I got. All is well so far. Sorry I can't offer a long history but just wanted to offer what I could. I understand that choosing mechanical for you has farther reaching implications and I wish you peace and new opportunities!

Latest posts

Back