Surgery Date is set

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_L

Monday August 12th in Aurora, IL with Dr. Bonilla. He's adamant on the pre-surgery cath and won't allow the CTA. The radial cath, cross-match, and carotid artery echo is scheduled for next Tuesday, again in Aurora. So it's two trips to Chicago less than a week apart, ugh. It's only 100 miles, but still what a hassle. I could have the cath done locally, but not the radial.

The carotid echo is a new one for me. Is this a typical pre-surgery procedure? I did find this, which would say maybe it it typically done.

To say the stress has amped up would be an huge understatement.

I know that when I've had echoes in the past, they have done something up on my neck, presumably at my carotid artery, as a small part of the procedure, but never represented it as something separate from or additional to the rest of the echo. It was just something that took a few seconds after they finished scanning my heart. I did find some info here: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=us-carotid.

Yes it is a typical presurgery procedure. They want a look before they cut :) Good luck! Don't worry, the odds are stacked in your favor.

The carotid artery is another spot for a possible blockage. I would assume they want to make sure it is also clear. I know they put a special IV line in my neck for quick access for medications. You won't even know it is there. Good luck!

Well, I've changed surgeons. I wasn't happy with the lack of information from Bonilla's office and the attitude of the nurse "gatekeeper'. I started having second thoughts late last week. I attributed this to pre-surgery jitters and tried to ignore the 'little voice' telling me that maybe you've made a poor decision. I've had a heart-to heart with my spouse and we're going back to Mayo. We've already been there and most of the prep work is done. t's a drive to get there (5 hrs), but it's our best option. I can honestly say that we've done a lot of looking around and I feel good about the decision.

Sounds like a good move. It's important to be comfortable with your surgical team. I had my surgery done at Mayo in Phoenix and they took good care of me.

Latest posts

Back