Surgery Date is set, now it's decision time!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

MrsBray;n848199 said:
So I chose
...I took about 3 months to stabilize my INR. I tick.
...I'm happy!

INR does take a while to come to heel ... even still it will get upset like a clock with a hanging pendulum when you have any metabolic upsets (like illness and even significant changes in your training regime (should you be a training sort of person).

I'm glad to hear you're happy and doing well. That is always nice. I like to read reports of good outcomes

Best Wishes

Coming up on my 5th valvaversary (2nd time) and my 24th valvaversary (1st time). Went mechanical the 1st time and the 2nd time. My 2nd OHS was driven by an aortic aneurysm, but I'm part of the younger set here. I was 17 for my 1st and 36 for my 2nd OHS. I've spent more of my life ticking and on warfarin than I did without. The ticking is a nice conversation starter. Especially in quiet work environments or during tests back in college ("Excuse me, are you wearing a really loud watch?"). No regrets on mechanical, and certainly wouldn't dwell on if I did. I don't want to do it again. Even in 1990, I don't recall being given an option.

For the most part, I don't recall seeing anyone regret their decision regardless of the choice.

I just got a mechanical (OnX) valve in the pulmonary position in May. Just about at the 5month point. I still hear the clicking quite clearly when in bed or if it's very quiet in the car. But usually if there's ANY ambient noise, I don't hear the clicking. Occasionally I'll wake up in the night and notice the clicking but almost always go right back to sleep and if I don't it's not usually the clicking keeping me awake. Before the surgery, I was always known as a light sleeper with ANY noise waking me up. I don't think I'm waking up from it, just notice it when I'm laying there in the still of the night. One advantage of the audible clicking is it's VERY easy for me to tell when I'm having a PVC and other rhythm issues. It's very obvious when that valve gets out of steady beat from the lower chamber not beating steady.

As to coumadin. It really is no big sweat. And I'm the one on this forum who is having trouble with the POC machines not reading my INRs accurately, so have to get weekly lab vein draws for INR readings. Yep, stuck 1-2-3 times each week (I'm a difficult stick so it often takes more than one attempt). I eat what I want within reason, still do my glass work, and enjoy my usual activities.

I will say, look down the road to timing of likely replacement. Developments in technology, like the Melody Valve. Ages you're likely to be for each type? (You're young enough you may still need to even have the mechanical replaced). Any comorbidity problems? (For me I have no Inferior Vena Cava and Femoral Vein stops at my liver, so Melody Valve wouldn't be an option later down the road.) That sort of thing. I'll counter the "go with your surgeon automatically" recommendations. My surgeon was pushing for Bio because of the Melody Valve options later. However, I felt he wasn't taking into account the malformed Femoral Vein and IVC issue and pushed for the mechanical. After the surgery, he came back and said I had been right and that he was re-inspired to go back to using mechanical valves in some patients.

I'd say, don't let the fear of Coumadin nor the fear of the clicking drive your choice. There is no bad choice and that's the best news of all.

Best Wishes! Linda

Superman;n848362 said:
...For the most part, I don't recall seeing anyone regret their decision regardless of the choice.

A few on here have regretted their valve choices, but they may not state it directly. One person I remember needed a re-op for tissue within a few years.

Latest posts

Back