Surgery date finally!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaughClown

I finally got everything settled and a date for my surgery. Im going under the knife November 3rd. Ive got about 3 weeks to enjoy myself. My surgeon is Dr. Karwande who will be assisted by Dr. Hawkins from Primary Children's next door, which is quite reassuring. Im still debating between mech valve or ross. Dr. K did about 90-100 valve replacements but only 12 or so ross. If I go with the ross procedure though Dr. Hawkins will do a large portion of it they said, so I need to get more info on him to make my decision. Ive been leaning towards mechanical for a long time, but going without coumadin is something to consider.
We'll see.

Put you on the calendar for Nov. 3rd. It will be here before you know it!! Wishing you all the best and I hope you can have someone post for you after the surgery. Godspeed!

Glad you have made this decision and I am sure the valve/procedure choice will come to you. Just relax and enjoy the 3 weeks with your loved ones. You will probably wake up one day in the next couple of weeks and know what your choice is.

I think this is good news!! I bet it is an odd relief to have the date set.

Keep us posted on what you decide, and what you discover about your surgeons.

Best of luck. Try to relax now, and take time to enjoy every morsel of your days......collecting the positives about the simpler parts of your life will truly help you through your surgery day and early recovery.

Best wishes!

Marguerite

Glad Your Date Is Set!

Glad Your Date Is Set!

LaughClown said:
Im still debating between mech valve or ross. Dr. K did about 90-100 valve replacements but only 12 or so ross. If I go with the ross procedure though Dr. Hawkins will do a large portion of it they said, so I need to get more info on him to make my decision. Ive been leaning towards mechanical for a long time, but going without coumadin is something to consider.
We'll see.

But, goodness gracious, Laff... I'd think very long and very, very hard before letting a cutter with only 12 Ross's under his/her belt take the knife to my pulmonary valve... No matter *who* was assisting...

The Ross is one of the most technical of all open heart surgeries, more complex even than a heart transplant, according to both the Society of CardioThoracic Surgeons published data and Dr. Paul Stelzer's comment to my wife and I. (Check page 2 of this pdf for details... http://www.stretchphotography.com/avr/STSAdultDataSummary.pdf I highlighted some relevant numbers, you may have to use the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them...)

Just my $.02... Sorry if I'm sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong...

Congratulations on your date! Best wishes with the valve choice. You new life begins 11/3!:)

Latest posts

Back