Surgery date: 2/21/06

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Enetric

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the help so far. I still havent committed to the valve choice yet, but I am leaning tissue.

Whatever I decide, my AVR will be 2/21/06.

I met with several surgeons.

I decided to go with Dr. L. Michael Graver-Long Island Jewish Hospital, NY

Has anyone had surgery with him or know of him?

All thes best,

Eric

Enetric said:
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the help so far. I still havent committed to the valve choice yet, but I am leaning tissue.

Whatever I decide, my AVR will be 2/21/06.

I met with several surgeons.

I decided to go with Dr. L. Michael Graver-Long Island Jewish Hospital, NY

Has anyone had surgery with him or know of him?

All thes best,

Eric
Don't know the surgeon but my second OHS was done at LIJH. They did (and I assume still do) have a great OHS program so you will be treated well.
I do recall the food was AWFUL (even for hospital food). The nurses station had menus from all the area take out restaurants and I ordered from those at the suggestion of my surgeon. Although things might have changed since 1982. ;) :D :rolleyes:

Enetric,
I checked the calendar, and don't see you listed (and after all my great advice about how to post it!:p :p :p ), so I'm adding you. I hope you don't mind. You're going in the same day as Cooker, so you'll have a heart buddy from here on out.
Stay with us and let us know about any questions you have.
Mary:)

congrats on booking a date with the surgeon..good luck with your valve-choice...

sounds like you better check out the menu as well...lol...just in-case! ;)

Geebee- Dr. Graver has been the cardiothoracic chief there for the last 13 years I believe.

I had it down to him and Dr. Smith of Columbia Presbyterian. In the end...Dr. Graver just felt like my guy.

That's so funny about the food! Can I eat whatever I want? If so, I am sure my wife and my folks can smuggle me in some goodness!!!!

Actually, I just thought of something. When can you start having visitors? Do they let your loved ones in the first few days?

Randy- Best of luck to you as well.

Mary- I didn't get your email about the calendar until tonight. But I sent you a reply. Thanks again!

-Eric

I had no food restrictions for any of my hospital stays except one for pericarditis. I was having severe upper chest pain and they did not hear a rub so they were looking for things other than pericarditis. I had been eating a lot of sushi so they thought I might be having some kind of weird reaction to raw fish so my family was told not to bring me sushi.:D :D Turned out they eventually heard the rub and I was back to eating sushi.

So, unless you are in CHF, you should have no restrictions on what you eat. I would suggest eating lightly until you determine what the pain meds do to your stomach. You do NOT want to be nauseous & vomitting after OHS.:eek: :eek:

My family was allowed into the open heart recovery room at LIJH almost as soon as I got out of surgery. At the time, the staff wanted loved ones in as early on as possible. I would think that is something that doesn't change but you should ask just to be sure.

Back