Surgery and flu

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alex1307

Hi all,

I'm facing a mitral valve surgery and :mad: - my son is having a flu right now!! What can I do? To get vaccinated? Any contraindications for that? May be, to postpone the surgery to see if I'm sick also? For how long? Or try to get this infection and develop natural protection?

Any advice?
Alex

alex1307

alex1307

You need to call your cardiologist, family doctor or surgeon, and get direction from one of them.

The flu shot takes about 2 weeks to become effective, are you sure it's the flu your son has, people call those nasty stomach viruses the flu, but they are not.

When is your surgery, do you have time to get vaccinated???

Do not try to get infected, with a heart valve that is bad enough to need surgery you do not want to be exposed to that kind of virus or any other illness if you can avoid it.

Again I recommend a call to your doctor, just to be on the safe side.

Take care,

terry40

Hi Alex-

What's your surgery date, I thought it was on the calendar, but I don't see it.

You should call the surgeon and your PCP about flu shots or exposure to flu. I'm totally with the others.

Thank you, Terry, Hency, Nancy - I will. As for surgery - l'll have cath on Feb 17th, surgery according to results. May be, I'll need to look for another surgeon, cause my current one is on strike...

Alex

Latest posts

Back