Surgeon released me.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john79t

I went for my 4 week post hosital release check up and everything looks good. Dr. Moon released me. I am going to talk with my family doc. and get a cardio set up to follow me for the long term. (I don't want to use the one from the VA) From all I have read here my recovery is going great compared to the many problems that some have. I thanked Dr. Moon for choosing to do this with his life and training the next generation of heart surgeons that specialize in vales, aortas and tissue disorders. One thing I forgot to ask is if the clamps in my chest will set off a metal detector. Perhaps someone here will know.

I understand that wires in the chest don't set alarms. I don't know about clamps.

Good to hear of your progress. Take care of yourself,

Juan

I'm glad you were released from the surgeon's care, John. Are you looking for a cardio in Poplar Bluff or would you consider going elsewhere? If so, I've got a young cardio that is really very good and stays current with BAV developments.
Do you have clamps or just something where the wires join?

Mary I will have to get the surgery notes to see if these are clamps or wires. Best I can tell there is not a good cardio in P.B. So I am looking toward Cape.

So happy to hear you are doing so well.

I've had two OHS and have flown a great many times and have never set off any airport alarms. Just flew last weekend and didn't set off any alarms :) thankfully.

Wires/clamps do not set off metal detectors alone. I fly at least twice a week with wires, a few screws in one foot and a pacemaker as well, and the only time it happens is if I wear one of my larger metal belts and forget to take it off. (And I have never had any issues with the pacemaker getting weird as well, despite the recommendation not to go through detectors).

::g

Last edited:
The only drug I am on is metaproslol 50mg to help my heart rate down. I would like to get off this one as soon as I can. How long have others had to take a drug to help with heart rate. My BP just now was 104/64 and heart rate 74. I went off of it about a week ago and BP stayed ok but heart rate went up to 88 at rest. I have read that this is one that you have to be weaned off. Anyone have experience?

I am on bisoprolol and a BP medicine, I guess my heart was quite enlarged when they got to it. A year post-op, with my cardio's blessing, I reduced the bisoprolol by 1/4 of a regular dose. I stayed at the 3/4 mark for 2 weeks, then reduced the dosage to half the original, and stayed there for 2 weeks, then reduced to 1/4 the original. Within a day or two, I could feel my heart racing, and my BP going nuts, ringing in my ears and all that kind of stuff, so I increased to 1/2 the original dose and have been there now for almost a year. I hope to try this again when I see him this year for my annual follow-up, but he indicated that I may not ever get off these drugs. Fortunately, I am one of these people who just swallow the pill and carry on, I rarely have side effects - unless it says on the bottle "Caution - may cause drowsiness", then I sleep for 24 hours straight through :eek:

Latest posts

Back