supposed to be last visit to surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anutherbuddy

My DH is nearly 8 weeks post op (AVR -Bentall and MVR)and he saw the surgeon today for (last?) post-op check up. Good news/not so good news. About 3 weeks ago while he was at the hospital for cardiac-rehab he stopped by the office because he was weak, coughing and still losing weight - they did a chest xray and saw some effusion but not much and said it would probably resolve itself with more incentive breathing, more exercise, etc. Since then he has been feeling a lot better - a lot more active, less coughing, more appetite (when he started driving again he seemed to make great gains). He had another chest xray on Friday to have ready to review today. Everything is generally healing as it should - heart, sternum, etc. Dr took him off amioderone and lowered his BP meds. But the effusion is considerably more evident and the Dr has now referred him to the Interventional Radiology clinic to have them do an ultrasound-guided needle drainage (or something like that?) to get some of that stuff out of his chest cavity around his lungs. Dr said they might refer it back to him if they think it needs more invasive measures. DH has the consult with them tomorrow. Anyone else had that done? Big deal? Small deal?

I believe dpalz just mentioned having this done
http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...VR-with-Aorta-Replace-Tomorrow-(Monday-10-22)

My roomate after my surgery was in the hospital for some type of effusion two months after a bypass. He said he was told they would try Lasik for awhile and if that didn't work they would have to use a tap to remove the fluid. He was told the tap wouldn't hurt but the needle to freeze would hurt a lot. So they kind of hoped to avoid it. The lasik seemed to work, as he went home after seven days.

dpalz probably has more useful info for you though.

I too had pericardial effusion at 10 weeks post ohs had pericardial window drained 1300 cc. Thought I was through with it still have the effusion 7 months post op. The pericardial window is not as painful as ohs --do not be afraid you will feel better. Still waiting on a normal echo--someday I know I will feel better at least the MV is repaired and I am alive.

He had the consult today and Dr decided to go on and do the ultrasound guided thoracentesis. They drained 1500ccs of fluid and will be sending it off for testing (for infection and such). Everyone says he will be feeling much better but since he wasn't feeling bad and had no SOB he's not sure about that. They only found the effusion because he had an X-ray follow up.

Wow....... I just did the conversion and 1500 ccs = 50 ounces. That is over 6 cups of fluid.
Hope his having it removed helps.
Best wishes......

He was so pleased with himself because he was finally starting to put some weight back on. B
ut now, with all that fluid gone, he has lost all the pounds he had gained. I have to push food on him again. sigh

Back