Suggestions for Capital Region of NY Surgeons/Which Hospital?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysgirl

My 61-year-old dad is a congenital BAVer in the critical stenosis stage. His surgery is scheduled for April 23, but we're still seeking other opinions. My dad was hoping for minimally-invase (not breaking his chest) and a tissue value. Are we being unrealistic? His cardiologist is great, Dr. Benton of Albany Cardiology Group. He said minimally-invasive and tissue sounded very good for my dad's situation: clear arteries, overall great health, active. We've seen a surgeon from St. Peter's. He was OK. His news did not seem to match what our cardiologist told us. We are seeing a second surgeon at Albany Medical this afternoon. Are there any suggestions from people in the area about who to see or where to go? Any suggestions from others if we should look to popular heart hospitals nearby like Mt. Sinai or NY Presbyterian? We are uncertain about having the surgery away from home in case of complications and post-op follow-ups. Any advice about any of this is appreciated! Thank you so much... Amanda

Hi, Amanda --My valve issue is different from your dad's but I also had the choice between Albany Med, St. Peters, or a NYC hospital (I live about an hour south of Albany). I opted for Mt. Sinai, based on the number of procedures they do annually and the reputation of the docs there (as well as a good referral from my cardiologist). It is a little scary to think of leaving the hospital and going home, knowing I'm over an hour away from the place where my surgery was done, but people seem to travel from all over the world to go to the centers of excellence like Cleveland Clinic, Mt. Sinai, St. Luke's, etc. I do plan on asking at my pre-surgical visit whether it makes sense to spend a few extra days in New York, just in case, but I suspect the answer is going to be to just go home and take it one day at a time. I'd be interested in hearing what you and your dad decide.

Thanks, Selma. I am very interested in Mt. Sinai. I called there today and could make an appt. with a aortic value surgeon. They could get us in pretty quickly, so I think we're going to do it! I'll keep you posted. Thank you!!!

Great news! If you decide to go for the surgery, I'm in for May 11th. It would be nice to see a friendly face down there. :)

Dr. Stelzer at Mt. Sinai has an amazing reputation -- here's a bit of his Wiki bio: "Dr. Paul Stelzer is an American cardiothoracic surgeon who is one of the few worldwide to routinely perform the Ross procedure – a procedure Stelzer helped establish as the standard for aortic valve replacement. Stelzer's experience with the Ross procedure is considered among the most extensive in the world.[1]"

I know several people on this board have had (or will have) surgery with him. Wherever your Dad ends up, I wish you all the very best.
Selma

one of our members here, nancy, lives near you up there... maybe throw her a message? her husband joe was the patient and she is the most brilliant and exceptionally knowledgeable care giver i have ever met.
my husband joey was one of dr. stelzer's roses back in 2001. i know he's working on another vr.org-er today_ many of us waiting anxiously to see how that went.
in any case, there are good places near your home (check with nancy) and mt. sinai is an exceptional heart hospital as well.
all personal choices.
pls keep us posted.
be well,
sylvia

Does Nancdy still post here?
I haven't seen any messages from her in a very long time and I have definitely missed here participation on this forum.

I had AVR at Ellis Hospital in Schenectady last November and can't say enough good things about the treatment I received there. I don't know if any of their surgeons do minimally invasive surgery (I got the full chest cracking experience), but I would recommend you check with them if you want to stay in the Albany area.

My surgeon was Len Girardi at NY Presbyterian and I recommend him wholeheartedly (no pun intended). Great treatment by his staff and the hospital.

Back