Strep and valve patients

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

Am I wrong... Valve patients have to be diligent at fighting the first signs of strep to prevent endocarditis. Is this really a thing? I keep telling coworkers who come to work sick to stay the hell away from me that its really bad if I get strep. And of course they roll their eyes and give me the look, like oh your such a wimp!

its a risk.

To put that into a perspective:
1) if you get it from (say) a co worker then
2) if the infection of (say) strep throat becomes something more than a tickle and annoyance then
3) if it becomes chronic you may be at greater risk than the general population in the same situation (of getting endo from strep) because of your cardiac situation

So IF you are at stage 2 and heading to stage 3 then seek a course of antibiotics from your Dr

But generally I'd say
Keep-calm-and-carry-on-scan.jpg

I've always been advised to be careful when it comes to Strep as well as any other infection. There is no way to completely stay away from them but it's smart to minimize contact with anyone who has a transferable one. If they insist on calling you a "whimp" just tell 'em that you are glad they have it and not you.....and you want to keep it that way.

Well it doesn't help that its less than a week to Christmas too and our office is closed next week. So I really dont want to spend my time off with a sore throat!

almost_hectic;n880835 said:
Well it doesn't help that its less than a week to Christmas too and our office is closed next week. So I really dont want to spend my time off with a sore throat!

agreed ... noone ever enjoys feeling sick ... (well, noone sane)

I hope you manage to avoid the sickness at the office. Why not "protest" with wearing a particle mask?

main-qimg-939f01a79809f311f85994f6cbea8754-c

could be a good source of arguments if nothing else ;-)

Interesting, no doctor has ever told me to watch our for strep, and I HAD RHEUMATIC FEVER. Literally, an autoimmune response to strep was the direct cause of my valve damage.

dornole;n880838 said:
Interesting, no doctor has ever told me to watch our for strep, and I HAD RHEUMATIC FEVER. Literally, an autoimmune response to strep was the direct cause of my valve damage.

Yup, as its been explained to me. Thats the exact reason for being cautious. As the result of surgery the lining of walls of the heart or arteries like the aorta may not be as smooth as they might be if it were not for scar tissue. The virus can potentially find a home on those areas. So if you get strep seek antibiotics

Latest posts

Back