Strange Episodes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emc07

Hi Everyone,

I am about 9 weeks out and I am experiencing some weird occurrences. I have had double vision twice, which I did a search on here and it looks to be something others have experienced. Luckily, I was at home for both.

I have also experienced a sensation I can feel coming on. I lose hearing for a couple seconds then I get either dizzy or faint... I can't tell which one, then it goes away and I feel ok again. I went to the Dr. and she didn't know what it was. I didn't have a fever and my BP was 118/74.

I called the Dr. at U of M and he said it could be dehydration, or stress. I'm just curious if any of you have had these episodes. Am I maybe working too hard? I worked 7 days in a row last week because I work for a mall office and it is the holiday. I have been trying to drink more water, but I can't shake this foggy feeling. I am also sensitive to light, but have not had any bad headaches.

You are all very well versed in this stuff, so I would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks everyone!
Erica

At 9 weeks out, it's possible you are pushing too much with the work. If you are fatiguing yourself, your body will do funny things.

The issue with the ear could be sudden drop in blood pressure, or it could be fluid in the ear, or it could be something else.

Even if you feel really good, understand that you are far from recovered and need to pace yourself.

At nine weeks post-op, I still had all kinds of strange things going on. I had dizzy spells when I stood up, times where my legs felt like they were about 1000lbs each, and ridiculous memory issues - and those are only the things I remember now off the top of my head. I didn't start working until 10 weeks after my operation, so the fact that you are working 7 days a week at nine weeks can't be helping things. I strongly suggest you try to relax as much as possible and allow yourself to heal.

I had the sensation in one ear,,like it needed to pop and sometimes lost hearing all together. I had trouble with vision,terrible hot flashes, and the list goes on. I was worried at first but the more you talk to other people the more you realize its all part of post op. The further you get out from surgery ,the better things get. I also feel like you may be overdoing. Try to slow down. Rest is my best friend. Somedays I feel almost normal while other days I have to nap and then go to bed at 8. If I do get the rest I need,I dont get the depression and sadness that lurks. Now that I know myself, I can do what makes my life good.
Hang in there,,dont be hard on yourself,,it does get easier

I had trouble adjusting to the coreg. If I stood up too fast I would grey out, which included fuzzy hearing (what do they call it, positional hypotension?), and was sensitive to light. I found if I ate and drank when taking my pills it helped considerably. And staying hydrated especially in the morning helped, too. I frequently had problems on weekends when we went out to dog train in the morning, as opposed to sitting at my desk at work. The more strenuous activity made a difference.

But it took the better part of a year to adjust to the meds, combined with general recovery. The sensitivity to light occurred intermittently even afterwards, while I was taking 100 mg per day, but now that I'm down to 50 mg per day I rarely have that problem.

Only my experience.

Only my experience.

Hi there Erica.

What you describe sounds exactly like the episodes I was getting before I had my pacemaker put in. My heart rate used to drop dramatically.

The first sign that this was happening was the world going "grey" as I used to put it. Everything would go quiet like someone had turned my hearing volume on mute. Then at this point I would lie down on the floor as I knew that I would pass out within seconds. Even though I lay down I would go very dizzy / lightheaded, pass out, and then come to a little while later.

The pacemaker has completely fixed this.

I obviously can not say that this is what's going on with you, so I would recommend that you contact your cardioligist to see if you can be checked out just in case. (Might be worth a 24 hour monitor if your episodes are regular)

Hope you find the cause soon and it gets sorted.

Lotti (England)

Thanks Everyone

Thanks Everyone

Thank you everyone for your advice and comments. I will check in with my cardio and make sure everything is well. I did have an appointment on October 28, which was less than a month ago, and she said I was doing great, so I will continue to rest and take it easy.

It's comforting to know you guys have had the same things happened. Not that I am happy it happened to any of us;)

Thanks again!
Erica

Hi there Erica.

What you describe sounds exactly like the episodes I was getting before I had my pacemaker put in. My heart rate used to drop dramatically.

The first sign that this was happening was the world going "grey" as I used to put it. Everything would go quiet like someone had turned my hearing volume on mute. Then at this point I would lie down on the floor as I knew that I would pass out within seconds. Even though I lay down I would go very dizzy / lightheaded, pass out, and then come to a little while later.

The pacemaker has completely fixed this.

I obviously can not say that this is what's going on with you, so I would recommend that you contact your cardioligist to see if you can be checked out just in case. (Might be worth a 24 hour monitor if your episodes are regular)

Hope you find the cause soon and it gets sorted.

Lotti (England)

emc07, you are probably doing too much. take it easy.

did you go to school out in k-zoo, i use to live out that way and go to western out that way. oh well, just a side note!!! :)

Aja

emc07, you are probably doing too much. take it easy.

did you go to school out in k-zoo, i use to live out that way and go to western out that way. oh well, just a side note!!! :)

Aja

Hey! Actually I went to Central, but I plan to go to Western for Grad School!

I am one of those who has also gets these weird double vision/dizzy type episodes and still do get them...I also get a strong metallic taste in my mouth at the same time.

I take a beta blocker and the doc. decreased the dose and though it seemed to work for awhile I am not convinced, it was probably just a coincidence as I still get the weird spells with absolutely no pattern to their occurence.

I hope someone gets an answer/diagnosis for these...

let us know what your Cardio comes up with.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this too. If I hear anything I will let you know.

I am one of those who has also gets these weird double vision/dizzy type episodes and still do get them...I also get a strong metallic taste in my mouth at the same time.

I take a beta blocker and the doc. decreased the dose and though it seemed to work for awhile I am not convinced, it was probably just a coincidence as I still get the weird spells with absolutely no pattern to their occurence.

I hope someone gets an answer/diagnosis for these...

let us know what your Cardio comes up with.

Hi Erica,

Our meds can cause weird reactions of various kinds. One idea is to Google the names of each of your meds and you will find all sorts of info about possible side-effects and you can see if any of these might be in play. Then you can discuss with your doc.

Also it is entirely possible that just 9 weeks out, you are pushing yourself a little too hard.

Wish you the best....

have you been checked for anemia? my dr took one look at me, said 'you are anemic', did the blood work and sure nuff. Ask to get that checked. There are shots and then there are pills.

Hope you find out the reason and can get it fixed. Blessins...........

I do have slight anemia. I will have to check out and see if that is why I am getting these episodes. I've been taking some vitamins with iron in it, so I'm sure that helps.

Thanks everyone!

Back