Stopping Coumadin For Oral Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hpuehler...Might want to read the current thread on heparin and surgery.

tcerame...Bridging is better than not bridging, but bridging does present its own risks. Keeping yourself in a good range during the swaps is not an exact science, and it takes days for changes in your INR to reflect your dosage. I vote with those who say, "It's a go at three-point-oh!"

Why would you risk a stroke just to make an oral surgeon or dentist feel better? Would you cut off a finger to suit your pharmacist, or walk in front of a bus for your cardiologist?

I'd recommend you find someone capable and competent who will do the surgery within the reasonable guidelines (3.0), and don't stop taking your coumadin. You can bring some of the materials provided in this thread to bolster your case, if needed.

Best wishes,

Well I know everyone seems to agree not to get off the coumadin but after visiting with the oral surgeon I stopped taking coumadin for 3 days, my cardo wanted me to stop 4 days. The day of surgery I tested my blood and it dropped to 1.4 and my oral surgeon was plenty ok with that. The surgery was over in 30 minutes and that nite I went back with 5mg for 3 nites then tested the next morning and was only 1.6 and my range is 2.5-3.5 so they told me to take 10mg fri,sat,sun tested monday and was3.8. I should have just left the damn tooth in there I ended up getting a dry socket and getting sick on the vicadin which I had never taken before. Today I went to see my regular doc and he gave a script for darvacet which I took after my AVR. I hope it gives me some relief.

Let's start a thread about dentists and oral surgeons who will do procedures without dropping the INR so low that they put people at risk for a stroke.

Back