Sternum Wires

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add to the statistics of those who never had a problem with their wires, mine cannot be seen except on X-Rays, but they can be felt when I touch the sternum where they are. No pain or discomfort, though.

I agree my surgeon also says those of us who are slender tend to have more problems also. However, the process of taking out the wires was super simple. I was the first case in the morning and I was home by 11 am. It was no big deal at all. I am sure if I wasn't as slender most of them wouldn't have bothered me as much.

I had all my wires removed after my second OHS. My body started rejecting the wires and pushing them out of my body. It's an out patient procedure but they need to knock you out for it. They re-open your scar and remove the wires. They said I could go back to work the next day, but I was out for a week from the pain. If you are having that much trouble, I would definitely recommend it.

Most people have no problems with the wire. If your husband is allergic to nickel, then he could have issues. But that is rare. I did have a reaction to them and had them removed. For my third surgery, 9 weeks ago, they used cotton ties. I think they are new, but they were GREAT! You may want to ask your surgeon about them. Unfortunately I don't know the name of them. But your surgeon should know. I felt like they held better than the wire ones post op.

Thank you for the quick replies. I will surely check with the doc about Nickel allergy and Cotton ties too. My husband is not too thin, not too fat... he is just perfect! :)

Hoping that he wont have an complications.

thank you for all your support through out!!

Vidhya

Rajesh, my husband is going in for a surgery on March 20, 2012. The surgeon that we have chosen insists that the sternum wires are very good and there will be no complications.

I am scared after reading your posts here.

WE are meeting with the surgeon one last time on March 13th to get questions answered. I am going to ask him about the wires again. Would you suggest not going with the sternum wires??

How do they take the wires out? Do they cut open again? that seems scary. Would you recommend a different way?

Can you please let me know what should i ask the surgeon regarding the wires? Is it possible to know if Rajesh will have rejection issues, complications due to the wires even before the surgery.

Sorry. too many questions. BUt i am looking forward to your help.

thanks a tonne,
Vidhya

This post deals with alternate closures you may want to ask about as individuals weigh in on individual experiencehttp://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?39512-Sternal-closures&highlight=kryptonite .......yes the Kryptonite glue is still in tests in the U.S. but often used here in Canada as explained by Gil in this post http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?39512-Sternal-closures&p=512024#post512024

Latest posts

Back