Sternum Pressure from Thoracic Aneurysm?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Thief

I sent the following message to my cardiologist:
I feel a dull pressure directly under my sternum. I feel it most when I breathe in deep. I would not categorize it as pain. I feel it often but not always. Is this because of my 4.6cm Thoracic aneurysm putting pressure on it's surroundings? Does this represent any additional danger?

Her response:
It may or may not be from the aneurysm.
If you develop any kind of pain, then would recommend you come into the ER or call 911.
Take care.

Has anyone out there experienced this symptom pre-AVR surgery? What have your docs said about it? Thanks!

a thoracic aneurysm if it is in the process of dissection or rupture will most likely result in upper back pain. You might feel a tearing or stabbing sensation near the shoulder blades.

I sent the following message to my cardiologist:
I feel a dull pressure directly under my sternum. I feel it most when I breathe in deep. I would not categorize it as pain. I feel it often but not always. Is this because of my 4.6cm Thoracic aneurysm putting pressure on it's surroundings? Does this represent any additional danger?

Her response:
It may or may not be from the aneurysm.
If you develop any kind of pain, then would recommend you come into the ER or call 911.
Take care.

Has anyone out there experienced this symptom pre-AVR surgery? What have your docs said about it? Thanks!

Ive had that dull pain in the left middle of my chest that radiated into the corner of my shoulder blade in my back and exactly how you describe it. I always taught it was muscle pain but haven't had it since the surgery, so I do blame it on the aneurysm ( mine was >5cm ).

Danger ? I don't believe so. I didn't change my active lifestyle because of the aneurysm. I had a yearly MRI to monitor its progression and this put my mind at ease.

Back