stented--stentless

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mamsram

Hi, I have a concern over these two types of biologic valves.

I understand that the stented one is the easiest to operate with. but, stented valves tend to collect deposits that make a sooner op necessary. would it be better to choose the stented one that would be quick and easy to perform or look for a surgeon that specializes in stentless valve ops.?

Also, I've heard/read that people that have stents inserted (clogged arterys) have have a new type that resists calcification, if that is so, then maybe the stented valve could also have this latest procedure.

Valve rep--anyone:confused:

Hi masram

Stents vs stentless seems to be a concern of my surgeon in choosing aortic valve replacement. a key concern of his about stented valves was the effect of the stent upon heamodynamics. (the blood flow profile/pattern). He felt that stents create a point of relative friction as compared with a stentless valve and indeed normal valves.
Also Stents would require anticoagulant drug therapy as they were not imunogenic.

Richard

The use of stented valves tends to be in older people.
They tend to last for many years because the older one gets, the less calcification is a problem. We don't tend to calcify valves as quickly when we are older.

Some stented valves can last 20 years if the patient gets one in their 70's. I'm not sure, but I thought that stented valves did not require blood thinners. I could be wrong.

Stentless valves have better hemodynamics and some doctors seem to think they will last a long time in younger patients. My doctor was telling me with any luck I'd get 20 years out of mine. I'll believe it when I see it. They told me that about my homograft too.

Stentless valves do not require blood thinners unless there are other factors that complicate things.

The stentless valves seem to be fairly new, but I've seen some studies where they have done 5-10 year long research studies.

I understand the stentless valves are a little more complicated to install, but my doctor did not feel it was an enormously complex procedure or anything.
Kev

Latest posts

Back