Statins and insomnia

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonzo Dog

There was a recent thread on sleeping problems. Many of us seemed to suffer varying degrees of insomnia. Many of us take statins. Advice is they are more effective taken at night. Info has just come my way that statins may cause insomnia. Your thoughts on this please.

Yep, some statins have been linked to insomnia and nightmares. I have trouble sleeping sometimes but no nightmares. I don't really think my simvastatin figures in this but who knows?

On the plus side, statins also have been linked to reduced risk of dementia/Alzheimers (and hey at my advanced age that is something to think about). Here's a little clip from a Syracuse TV station:

http://www.wtvh.com/news/health/26070344.html

(Did the hot gal hawking Toyotas pop up on your screen inviting you to "click" her for more? If so, you're welcome. :p)

Also coffee can contribute to insomnia (surprise!) BUT coffee is good for you in other ways.

Confused by now? :D

I have been on Statins for three years and on Simvastatin for over one year. No problem with insomnia. Actually falling asleep faster than a few years ago. Not sure about the quality of sleep as I am sleepy a lot during the day. Maybe its just old age.:(

Back