St. Jude Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Birky

I think it was Rain who posted about getting a replica of your St. Jude valve. How do you go about doing this? I couldn't find the thread that this was attached to. Thanks, Marcia

Give St. Jude a call with the model number on your card and request it. They'll send you one. The phone number is on the back of the card too. ;)

valve

valve

I hope the replica doesn't cost $14,000 like the one that is in there. Thanks for your fast reply, Ross.

Hey Marcia,
Ross, is correct just give St. Jude a call and with your serial number they will send you a patient packet. The valve will be larger than what they used in you so you will be able to see how the leaflets work and it is also plastic. There is some other info in the packet about your valve also. It is kind of neat to be able to see what you have inside of you.
Take Care

Dave

At the 2001 reunion in SAT Billy wore my plastic St. Jude valve around his neck. I looked at the photos on the site and you can see the string in several shots but the valve is always behind a glass or someone's arm.

valve

valve

I had my surgery in Peoria, Il. at St. Francis Medical Center. The total cost right now is around $130,000 total. This includes the angiogram that I had prior to the surgery. The cost of the hospital itself was $78.000. I had a private room but the insurance company paid the difference. We have Blue Cross of Iowa which we get from my husband's employer. Where did you have yours?

Bedroom shots break reunion rule #1!!

Bedroom shots break reunion rule #1!!

Marcia,

I was a little overwhelmed with the whole heart surgery thing. When I got home, I called St. Jude and asked them a zillion questions. They were very friendly and answered all my questions. Then a few days later I was surprised to get a box in the mail from them. It had a replica of the valve, a postcard size picture of it, note pads, pens, key chain, info on the valve, all kinds of stuff. I came on the forum and told everyone about it and everyone got one! :) Of course it wasn?t real good for my confidence when my two boys (the engineers) told me how flimsy it was. LOL As they were playing around with it... it actually fell apart in their hands! :eek: Yikes! Oh, my valve cost $8,000.00. My whole surgery cost $175,000.00.

Hey Dick.... I?d give you a hard time about your valve always being behind a glass or someone?s arm... But reunion rule #1 is now in effect. :p You sure you weren?t in TN when Billy was playin? with your valve? :p lol SORRY!! :eek: :D :D You know I love you!!

Tell Kay our reunion is in Colorado next year. Yippee!! You guys just gotta come!!

I'm gonna have to make a sign to bring to all the reunions marked "room 717" for Janie's room. :D She can hold it when we take the 'bed pics'. :p

valve

valve

I did call them yesterday and they are going to send me one. You sure can get some good information from this sight. I am anxious to see the valve. The surgery is overwhelming for everyone and I sure wish I had known about this site before the surgery. I guess I didn't ask enough questions or didn't really want to know. They did give me some literature on valve repair and replacement but at the time they said there was a 90% chance of repair so I guess I didn't worry about. I was pretty devastated when they told me I had a mechanical. Now I am glad because I do not want to do the surgery a 2nd time. Sounds like you valvers had a good time at the reunion. Thanks,

reunion

reunion

Why did I think that none of you drank or partied. I did see the things about the reunion but was hesitant in getting involved because I thought everyone would be just sitting around and talking about their medical problems. I think I am still paranoid that something will go wrong with the valve if I indulge. Part of mine is that I quit smoking and that always went with a drink. Getting better as time goes along. Glad that everyone feels that good. Thanks,

THANK YOU ST.JUDE

THANK YOU ST.JUDE

This picture of the St. Jude Valve has hung
on the wall of my office ever since my surgery in 1994.

Every once in awhile I'll pause to look at it and think
"I'm the luckest guy in the world."

The total cost of the whole procedure including
doctors expense was under $80,000.

Gives one an idea of how medical costs have sky-rocketed,
doesn't it?

Hey Marcia,
You don't have to indulge and there is enough second hand smoke that you don't need to light up. lol. I had 2 beers the whole weekend and still had a blast with everyone there. It is hard to explain but it was like meeting family that you hadn't seen for a long time. Truly one of the best times I have had. Come to Colorado next year and enjoy the feeling! You can drink water with me.
Take Care

Dave

Hi Marcia,

Dave is right. I only had one glass of very good wine and then switched to water for the most part. It was for a medical reason but the atmosphere was an atmosphere of celebration and no one was bemoaning the fact that we've all had a go-around with our hearts.

Try to join us next year if you can. It was wonderful.

St. Jude Heart Valve

St. Jude Heart Valve

Wanted to attach this picture to my earlier
message but as it turns out it was in the
wrong format from my scanner.

As I stated it is in a frame on my office wall.

Becomes a conversation piece when different
people see it from time to see.

Hope it transfers properly this time.

St. Jude than and now

St. Jude than and now

Mine is the Standard Cuff.

At the time of my implant do not believe the
FlexCuff sewing ring or the Expanded Cuff design
was available. I have a Model 101.

Research and development continues to produce
new and better products to the benefit of all
future patients.

Here's one-- do you know if you are looking
upstream or downstream in the picture?
No guessing.

Joe, I made that picture the background for my computer screen quite some time ago. I think I found the picture on the St. Jude's site.

Re: reunion

Re: reunion

Birky said:
Why did I think that none of you drank or partied. I did see the things about the reunion but was hesitant in getting involved because I thought everyone would be just sitting around and talking about their medical problems. I think I am still paranoid that something will go wrong with the valve if I indulge. Part of mine is that I quit smoking and that always went with a drink. Getting better as time goes along. Glad that everyone feels that good. Thanks,
Marcia they had valves replaced but they haven't stopped living. There is more to life then our medical lives. The reunion just serves to further prove that. ;)

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for all your replies. Reunion in Colorado sounds wonderful. I have relatives there. I will have to find out exactly where they are located. Wish I would have made the Chicago one since it is so close. If everything would get regulated then maybe I wouldn't feel so ticked off about having to take so many pills and watch what I do. I did start back at the gym this week so maybe this will help get rid of some of the frustration. The Dr. just added Lasix again so now I have to watch the potassium. I guess I should quit complaining since I feel so much better. Before the surgery I took Atenonol and dyazide(spelled wrong I am sure) and now it seems like tons of stuff. Oh well, I am here to talk about it and that is good. Thanks again,

Latest posts

Back