Special diet?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roberdowski

Other than low sodium is there a diet that I should be on after valve replacement. I realize that a low cholesterol diet should be followed but is that it?

Avoid, fat, salt, carbohydrates, proteins, sweets, green vegetables, starches, and anything with any taste, texture or other enjoyable properties. :D That leaves you with styrofoam and water.
Seriously, unless there is a restriction because of other ongoing non-valve problems, try to get back to a normal healthy diet. (You know, avoid a half pound of salty bacon, 3 eggs and 2 slices of pie everyday for breakfast.)

Anything that causes cancer - which means everything.;) Sodium and cholesterol are the only things I watch.

When I was discharged, they told me I should be on a "no extra salt added" diet. They said I could eat anything I wanted but not to use the salt shaker. I think that is being very generous considering how much sodium there already is in nearly every processed food.

I've been lucky in that I have not retained fluid after either of my valve surgeries. However, I have a natural dislike for salt and never add it to anything.

Randy

You can go have a splinter removed and this will be your discharge diet. It's just a standard. Chow on anything you feel like chowing on. :)

Latest posts

Back