Something To Share

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross

Ross

I have something to share with you. remember I started this on the carnation drink situation. I had a shake of carnation the night before my PT and my INR was normal. It is just so hard to find thing that either not high in vitamin k or soy. Something about soy in shakes like ensure and slimfast messes up the INR. Just take in moderation. I am try to do the shake thing up to thee times a week. It will be summer soon and want to a have source of nutrition during the hot days when not too hungry for dinner. Thanks for the concern and for anyone out there wanting to try carnation. It does have 25% vitamin k but has no soy. Talk to a doctor before trying any kind of meal suppliment. Be careful.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Hi Caroline-

The things you do today, will not show up in your INR until 3 days from now. So if you took the Carnation drink one day and had your test the next, it wouldn't have showed up yet.

Hi,

I have seen several posts in the past that have said that vitamin K will show a change within 3-6 hours. As for Coumadin change it won't show up until 3 days later.

Christina

Steady as she goes

Steady as she goes

Its already been said, but consistancy is real important. No problem with a little spinach salad or broccoli once in awhile as long as you don't overdo it. Those are two of my favorites, especially fresh from the garden. On the other hand, if Bonny starts talking about that Georgia soul food again, I'll drool all over my keyboard. Haven't had eggs/bisquits and gravy for breakfast for at least two months.

My brilliant Doctors are all against home testing citing that home test units are not accurate,

Ross,

I called coumadin lab to get details on procedure to inform them on 'home test' readings so they could 'monitor and adjust' my INR.

The coumadin nurse asked me if I had a home tester to which I responded that that was MY problem (in other words, it's NONE of YOUR business) as to how I'd get the readings.

Do you know how much this home testers cost she asked, to which I responded that a 'friend' of mine HAD one and that I was going to do my tests on this machine.

Do you know how much the 'materials' cost?, I said yes, -less then ten bucks.

Oh no, I don't 'think' the doctor will allow you to test on someone else machine she said, to which I responded 'I'm ALREADY testing on 'someone else' machine, --YOURS, so what's the difference?

Oh no, we have to monitor you 'till you stabilize (which could feasible NEVER come) the doctor would not allow that at this point, maybe in the future.

I called to reschedule (I had already rescheduled earlier, -Feb.3-, they gave me a March 7 'EARLIEST' slot, --punishment for NOT keeping my appointment).

I wanted to try to find a 'different' means of checking my INR. I'm starting to have nightmares of CLERKS telling me 'that I'm NOT on the computer every other time I have an appointment.

I had a 1:50 PM coumadin appointment today and dreaded the thought of THREE past (?you?re not in the computer?) experiences.

I almost had an anxiety attack by the time (12:30 PM) I started heading to the lab.

I said 'to hell' with it, turned back and felt the weight off my shoulders, talk about relief!

I'm presently taking 28.75mg weekly and my last INR was 1.7 (of course it could've been 4.7on a different machine, --so was it high or was it low, --truthfully NOT even the machines know, so why worry!

I wonder if there are 'legal or otherwise' implications on a home test machine owner 'renting' such for others to self-test and send results to lab for dosage instructions.

If not I might try to convince an area owner to rent it out (I'd test at their place) or put a small group together to buy one and share and rent it out (LAX area).

It could pay for itself in 6 to 12 months. To me they're not worth their asking price (to buy it for 'sole' self testing).

God Bless all

I am having my doctor fill out the paperwork for QAS. I gave it to him yesterday. i feel alittle better about my coumadin followup though, since my doctor can ALWAYS be reached. I just switched, and he assured me that if I call his office on a weekend or after hours, one of three things will happen...There will be a doctor in the office, it will go to the weekend answering service, or it will page him and he'll call me right back. None of which I could get at the NHB. If your doctor ok'd it...and if you home test, I would have no problem with the carnation. It depends on how stable your INR has been though. Good luck and keep us posted. I like hearing new things about coumadin...it helps teach me about it.

Latest posts

Back