Some good with the bad....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

ScottB

Well, after what felt like the longest month of my LIFE I had my long anticipated visit with my Doc to discuss my situation. It seems that my AV and MV are mild to moderately thickened, not just moderately, and the AV is starting to calicify (sp?). He said it's still worse that they should be for a healthy 39 yo male but not as bad as he first thought, so I'm in the "wait and see" phase right now. He said that more than likely I'll need the AV replaced someday but to have an echo every year to see how it's progressing because I'll "know" when it begins to become time. This was a relief but... with that said, he did not like my S to T transition on my EKG. I have kind of a delay before it pops back up. He claimed fewer than 2% of the population have this without it signifying a problem such as a cornary blockage. Sooooo... I have a stress echo next month on the 14th and he advised me not to run until those test results are back. Drats!! I do miss the running and the weather is getting so nice here but I have been lucky so far so I will have to remain patient for now..... Hmmmm... hope there's room in the Waiting Room for me!

Last edited:
Hi Scott-

Sometimes it's almost as hard to wait to have a test than it is to have surgery.

It'll be hard, but try to focus your mind on other things until the time for the test. It takes a lot of discipline to do that, but remember, you cannot have two thoughts in your mind at the same time. Let your best buddy there bring you some smiles as you wait.

The stress echo is a good test and should give some answers for you.

Stay close here and let us know how things are going.

Take care.

Hi Scott,
Hang in there. It sounds like your doc is giving you some good advice. My bicupsid AV had calcified, and they discovered that was a lot worse than the echo had indicated when they did my AVR.
Because I had persisted in exercising almost up until my surgery, I ended up developing some left ventricular hypertrophy. I was lucky that I didn't do any permanent damage, but it was close.
I've now got an inverted T wave, which is typical with a mechanical valve. As a precaution I carry around a copy of my EKG with my cardiologist's notation that it is my "normal" pattern.

Mark

Plenty of room!

Plenty of room!

Hey Scott,
We always have plenty of room in The Waiting Room! Not sure you want to deal with all the 4-year-old Field and Stream magazines, though. We will have to elect a caretaker to get some new ones.

I guess I would be glad to hear that things aren't at a panic stage. I do know that sometimes we wish things would just go ahead and get there. Most of the time, though, I am glad to be able to keep up a relatively normal lifestyle and wait a while until my number comes up. It all relates to your current quality of life. If it is OK now, then I think it best to get as comfortable as possible with it and just hang in there. If, however, the life you can now live is far below your hopes, then probably time to talk to your docs about pushing for earlier intervention.

I have my up and down days, but once I got used to the knowledge that I will need surgery some time, I am at least able to get on with life until the next speed bump.

Glad to have the company in The Waiting Room.

Re: Plenty of room!

Re: Plenty of room!

epstns said:

I have my up and down days, but once I got used to the knowledge that I will need surgery some time, I am at least able to get on with life until the next speed bump.

Glad to have the company in The Waiting Room.

That's exactly how I kind of took it. While it's good to wait I am not the most patient person and fell like I'm always looking over my shoulder... waiting for "it" to happen, and hope it happens in time I guess. I'm still going to call another Doc and get a second opinion and keep informed and active with everyone here.

Oh... and I'll see what I can do about the old mags... Anyone for a not-too-old Car & Driver or PC World...? :D

Latest posts

Back