So tired...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TammyM

I felt like I was progressing so quickly at first, but for the past few days I feel like I am at a stand still. I have no energy. I get up in the morning - take my 30 minute walk - and come back and take a nap! I feel like all I do is walk, shower, eat and sleep. What an exciting day! Please tell me I will have more energy soon...and thanks for listening to me whine.

Tammy,

You are only 2 weeks out. Please be more patient with yourself. Things will definitely get better. Remember this is a bit of a roller coaster. You will have a lot of ups and downs - this is just one of the downs.

Whine away - it will make you feel better. Also, remember to stay in touch with your doctor so anything that might be an issue can be promptly addressed.

Your body is just telling you it needs some down time. Listen to it and you will be OK again before you know it.

You'll get better, but you can't rush it. :) I haven't had my surgery yet, so I can't tell you if what you're experiencing is the norm or not. However, it seems like the recovery process is a cycle. You'll progress quickly for a little bit, then your body slows it down to rest. All the work it's doing behind the scenes to heal from the surgery is tiring in and of itself.

That probably made no sense, but just remember that it's a process...and you'll get better one day at a time.

TammyM said:
I felt like I was progressing so quickly at first, but for the past few days I feel like I am at a stand still. I have no energy. I get up in the morning - take my 30 minute walk - and come back and take a nap! I feel like all I do is walk, shower, eat and sleep. What an exciting day! Please tell me I will have more energy soon...and thanks for listening to me whine.

Sounds familiar to me! OHS is a major insult to the body - it will take several weeks to feel near-normal, and you'll have good days and not-so-good days. Keep walking, though, and maintain a decent diet. You WILL feel better soon.

Tammy, I am 4 weeks post op today and feel the same way that you do, I think I would feel a lot better if I could just sleep!!!! I am still sleeping in a recliner and wake up a lot. Also, my upper body is still very sore from all the manipulations they do during the surgery. I am also doing 30 minutes on the treadmill and am really tired when I am done. I go for cardiac rehab consult today, also see my PCP. We must be patient and realize when they say 6-8 weeks recuperation, they must mean it!!!!! Rose

Tammy Tammy Tammy, 2 weeks out, this is exactly how your supposed to feel. Each day will get a little better, but it takes a LONG time to get back to normal. In four more weeks, you probably won't believe the difference, but it's the time it takes to get to that mark. that goes so slow. :)

TammyM said:
Are you walking 30 mins total a day or 30 mins. several times a day? I came out of surgery pretty easily but I was still told 5-10 min - 3 times a day for the first two weeks, 10-15 mins-3 times a day for weeks 3 and 4, and so forth.

Tammy,

I can appreciate your frustration. It sometimes is a bit tough to handle when you try to measure your progress against what you were able to do a week ago or so.

There are going to be some up and down periods during the first couple of months. It's part of the whole recovery process. If you're not experiencing any abnormal pains or aches and are staying in touch with your doctor, don't let this get you down ... you're doing okay. Remember that each day that goes by, get's you just that much closer to full recovery.

You'll soon be at a point where you'll have a discussion with your doctor about rehab. If you're able, take advantage of it. This will be one of the points of your recovery where things seem or feel like you're going to get better. Until then, listen to what your body is telling you and take the breaks or naps as you need too. Hang in there ... this too shall pass.

Paul

Tammy

Relax, rest, and take lots and lots of naps. You WILL feel better, it's just time. Don't push yourself, you've been through quite an assault......give it time.

Evelyn

This surgery takes a tremendous toll on the body in every way. You are supposed to feel tired this soon after surgery. It will be at least 6-8 weeks before you start to feel human again. Then it takes 6 months to a year to finally feel all back to normal.

Everyone heals at a different rate. Your body will not let you rush it. If you are tired, then rest. Eventually, you will be better, just takes some time.

Thank you all for the replies...guess I just needed to hear that it is OK to still be tired. :)

Bob - It is 30 minutes walking once a day. My surgeon had me walk 5 minutes my first day home and then add 5 minutes daily until I got to 30. Now, I am supposed to stick with 30 and just try to increase my distance a little each day.

I am now off to have my blood drawn! YAY! lol

Have a good day all.

I feel your pain eat sleep excersize fun huh , look back though the day you came home your better than that im sure. im 7 day post surgery and i feel pretty good all in all but just like you my short walk wipes me out even the stretches get me winded. pre surgery I had pretty good stamina and endurance now nothing its alittle depressing but im better than yesterday and will be better tommorrow. ill keep at if you will. MJL

Your body is expending a TREMENDOUS amount of energy to heal the sternum. This will be quite evident until 6 weeks out when you should experience more energy for exercising (but you will still tire fairly easily). As Nancy noted, you will continue to heal (more gradually) for 6 to 12 months before you feel you have fully recovered.

I like the plan presented by Bob Lowe, walking for 5 to 10 minutes, three times a day, with NAPS in between and gradually step it up. That is a more realistic approach IMHO. As everyone has said, there are Good Days, and Not so Good Days. As long as you can see progress on a weekly basis, you are headed in the right direction. If you have a continual decline, you need to call that to the attention of your Doctors (Surgeon, Cardiologist, and PCP).
If your insurance will cover Cardiac Rehabilitation, I highly recommend it, starting at 6 weeks or so post op.

'AL Capshaw'

Tammy,

The care book I was sent home with said to start taking 10 minute walks, twice a day, for the first week. The second week you add five minutes to each walk and continue adding five minutes to each successive week.
At six weeks, you would be walking 30 minutes twice a day.

Maybe this doesn't sound like much, compared to what you're doing now, but it worked for me. Slow and steady is sometimes better than fast and wobbly!

Tammy:

I measured my recovery toward "normal" energy levels & being pain-free in tiny steps, and I'm sure you will too. I can still recall when I was able to do this and that -- even down to the dates for each.
It may seem like all you do is eat, walk, sleep, breathe/eat, walk, sleep, breathe, etc. for a while. If you feel extraordinarily great one day, do NOT overdo it just because you feel great; you'll pay for it the next day.

Life does get better and easier, with time. It is frustrating not to be able to do things you once did so easily, effortlessly. Let people pamper you for a while.

Back