Smallpox Vaccine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creed3

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi Everyone!
I work at my town's local hospital. They send every employee a Safety Newsletter every month. This month's newsletter was almost completely regarding smallpox and the vaccine. They gave information about who should and shouldn't get the vaccine. We have discussed this in the past on another thread. They said that people who have had eczema or dermatitis at any time in their life, should not get the vaccine unless they have been exposed to the virus. Our hospital is being asked to have a small group of volunteers to get the vaccine, so there would be personnel available to treat a patient who may come in with the diagnosis of smallpox. They also said that smallpox is very contagious, but that you would need to be within six feet of someone for about 3 hours to catch the virus. It is transmitted by droplets in the air. I would imagine if you were close to someone who had the virus and they sneezed right near you or something you would possibly get it even if you weren't within six feet for three hours. That part is just my opinion. How do they come up with measurements like that? Oh Well, I just wanted to pass along that little bit of information.

Take Care!
Gail

Thanks for the info Gail. Did they classify children? My child had eczema for about a year aound the age of 2. We moved to TN and it cleared up. Since moving back north have seen a couple of flare up's. Defiantly answered my question about giving her the vaccine. Or should I say feeling guilty for not giving it to her. Now I have a excuse. We decided our family is not taking it unless there is an epidemic. Too risky.

Hmm, did they say anything about severe psoriasis? My husband is in the military,but has really bad psoriasis. Just wondering. I don't think I will be getting the vaccine, and I don't think my kids will either...unless there is an epidemic.

Hi Gail,

I heard on the news that folks with transplants should not get the smallpox vaccine. I have a tissue valve, and while it's not an organ, my insurance has lumped me into the "transplant" catagory. Any thoughts on whether tissue folks should stay away from the vaccine? I plan to ask my cardio when I see him in the Spring.

Also, "dermititis"? Everyone gets a zit now and then. When does it get classified as dermititis?

thanks for any light on the subject!

Jennie

Joy & Jennie

Joy & Jennie

I went back over the email the hospital sent me and it does say that people with psoriasis should not get the vaccine unless they have been exposed to the virus. Regarding the acne. I don't know for sure about that one. You may need to check with your doc or the cdc. They said anyone that had any type of skin condition (eczema, psoriasis, possibly extreme acne problems etc...) I know that I have suffered from hives on and off over the years since I was a little girl. I personally am considering that to be a type of skin reaction. It may be best if you have any specific concerns or questions to contact your doctor or the cdc. The hospital I work at said they received their info from the cdc. I hope this has helped some.

Take Care!
Gail

Thanks, Gail - guess many of us have been waiting for your info. Thanks for sharing it with us. Isn't it wonderful the sources of information we have here - this being one of the many very, very important subjects.

Latest posts

Back