Small Anulus 20 mm

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My annulus is only 20 mm and I've heard they'll have to do anullus enlargement. I'm worried about cost plus medical risk of having to do this enlargement. I'm also wonder if I'm going to be a candidate for tissue valve now or Tavi in the future because of my small opening.

You need 21 mm for tissue and 23 mm for TAVI.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/ful...a,ischemic cardiovascular events, and stroke.
"The presence of a small aortic annulus (SAA) represents a clinical challenge in patients with aortic stenosis (AS). SAA and a small aortic root have been associated with poorer outcomes after aortic valve replacement (AVR), with increased mortality, ischemic cardiovascular events, and stroke.
"

Should I be concerned about having a 20 mm annulus?

Comment

Send

I'm worried about cost plus medical risk of having to do this enlargement
It's a procedure... the additional expense is probably cancelled out by ordering coffee with your meals

No, you should be more worried about not having it enlarged as I understand it.

I think it's pretty certain you can take TAVI off the menu for the future

My annulus is only 20 mm and I've heard they'll have to do anullus enlargement. I'm worried about cost plus medical risk of having to do this enlargement. I'm also wonder if I'm going to be a candidate for tissue valve now or Tavi in the future because of my small opening.

You need 21 mm for tissue and 23 mm for TAVI.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/ful...a,ischemic cardiovascular events, and stroke.
"The presence of a small aortic annulus (SAA) represents a clinical challenge in patients with aortic stenosis (AS). SAA and a small aortic root have been associated with poorer outcomes after aortic valve replacement (AVR), with increased mortality, ischemic cardiovascular events, and stroke.
"

Comment

Send
No you should not be concerned. It's a fact that cannot be changed.

What exactly does this mean ?
Sorta feels like this when the plumber shoes up...
5f02719dc4501da06f4d0370a3266010.jpg

I have a small annulus had 21mm on-x valve placed.
I think root enlargement is something that could support to put a bigger valve. ( not sure ) remember my surgeon mentioning something on those lines.
However in my case , complication post first surgery my consultant didn’t wanted to take chances with root enlargement and did like for like replacement during the second surgery
A 23 mm valve should do . A decent size . However depends a lot on height & weight
Post second surgery my EF improved to 55 then dropped to 45 . I was referred to HF clinic put on entresto and some other HF tablets in 6 months LVEF calibrated to 60.
pre ops second surgery my LV was dilated 6.8 mm

what part of "its a fact" is complex here?

David, you've already said one consultation actually suggested enlarging, your such an anal over analytical fcked up mess you couldn't deal with the ticking (your own admission, for years now, but paraphrased) so just get a tissue valve (a resilia) and move on.

The final solution is always available when that valve starts to die, its inexpensive and will allow you to not deplete your financial resources.

Last edited:
You don't worry about the sun coming up after the sun goes down. You cannot change the size of your annulus, thus put your concerns aside. I have a debilitating disease that's OK now but will get worse. I need to put my concerns asive and take each minute as it comes.

Last edited:
Back