Slow exercise heart rate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

R0Y

I had a mitral valve repair and double bypass about 10 weeks ago. Happily, my recovery is going very well.

As I have gotten back into exercise, I have observed that my heart rate rises very little and very slowly. Even with fairly strenuous exercise, it has not gone above 110 and it takes over an hour to get it to this level. My cardiologist thinks it might be a side effect of lopressor, and says not to worry.

I'm wondering if anyone else in the group has had a similar experience.

oposite

oposite

Welcome Roy!

I, personally, have the oposite problem. Just WALKING from one room of my house to another gets my heart rate up to over 100. But then, my resting heart rate is in the upper 80s now that they've taken me off my beta blockers. Wish I had an answer for you. Good luck!

I'm not a Doc, but I can almost guarantee it's medication related. I'm going to side with your Doc on this one. Sometimes I wish mine would stay slow for a longer period.

Ross

Hello Roy,

Yes, Lopresor is a Beta Blocker and WILL limit your maximum heart rate in theraputic doses (over 100 mg?).

'AL'

Question?

Question?

When you all talk of heart rate..Is that my pulse rate when I take my B/P and pulse shows up?:confused: :confused: When I walk, should I run and take my b/p to see how high my pulse is?..I thought a low pulse rate was good..like when mine is in lower 70's..What is average for an old, out of shape, female, age 62?:D :D :D Bonnie

Geeze,

Even when I was a 20 something "know it all" I didn't think 62 was "OLD". You got to go back to cheerleader camp.

The answer to your question is: the heart rate IS the pulse you get on you b/p machine.

Interesting, one of the things I had to prove to the discharge person at the hospital was that I knew how to take my pulse and promise to keep tabs on it. I'll let someone else explain the resting rate/traning rate stuff. Lower isn't always better.

What is average for an old, out of shape, female, age 62?
If Barney's chasing you, you should be at least 120 or better! :D

I found a formula for figuring it out. Now, if I can find it again, I'll get you the numbers.

Beginners/Intermediates

Enter your age then press the Calculate button:

Your Maximum heart rate is: 158

Your Minimum training heart rate is: 94

Your Maximum training heart rate is: 126

Last edited:
B/P Pulse

B/P Pulse

Now I'm confused:confused: :confused: :confused: Just took my B/P..122/76..pulse 85.. I walked about 30 min. this a.m. But has been 30 min. since coming in house. Will check pulse again in an hour. Bonnie

Check it as soon as your done with your walk. Before you rest!

Where your at now makes me envious. :(

Even after vigorous exercise the resting 2-4 minutes should bring the heart rate back to close to the resting heart rate. This presumes that the body no longer "demands" the increased oxygen etc provided by the increased flow.

I'm like Gnusgal, my resting pulse is in the high eighties to low nineties. When I was taking lopressor it went down to the low eighties. My cardio did not seem alarmed, but then, he doesn't seem to get alarmed by anything.

Roy,

I'm having the same experience; it's the medication. Am 50-something; was on a beta blocker, and pulse was usually in low 60s to low 70s; maxed at around 120 during exercise. Went off beta blocker for awhile and resting went up to 80s, and during exercise (even yard work) shot up to 145-155. Now back on beta blocker and rate has slowed down again.

My understanding is it is not a problem, but if rate goes below 50 one should check with the doc because a medication modification may be in order. I think there are supposed to be some benefits from having a slower, stronger heart beat, but I'm not sure what they are.

Good luck,

LKC

AVR - January 2002

Thanks to everyone who replied for the helpful information. Clearly my condition is medication related. While it isn't a health problem, it is a lifestyle issue for me.

I've been quite active, cycling and refereeing soccer. Both require the ability to handle brief periods of much increased exertion. With my current heart response I can't handle this sprinting. My surgeon was very encouraging about returning to my previous activity level or more, but that's not what I am seeing. My cardiologist does not seem supportive. Sounds like I'm either going to have to get my cardiologist to adjust the medication or change my expectations about post-op activity.

Hi Everyone,

Beta Blockers, of which Lopressor is one, effect the body in 2 areas. They lower the blood pressure, and also reduce the heart rate. You CANNOT gauge your maximum heart rate for exercising using the standard method if you are taking a Beta Blocker.

I would like to share some information that I obtained from a nurse when I researched this topic. I am addicted to the gym, and was for years prior to my surgery, so I really noticed some major differences after I started back at the gym after surgery.

Hope you too find this information helpful. Save it to a file for future reference.

Rob

Topic: Heart Disease: Laurie Anderson, RN, BSN >> Discussion: Exercise with
low pulse from medication (by Arlyp (WebMD))
Re: Exercise with low pulse from medication
by ljandie91 (WebMD), 8/18/00 10:09 PM
Hello,
Your heart is getting an adequate workout as long as you raise it 20-30 beats
per minute over your resting levels. You can't calculate a target heart rate
based on the traditional method of subtacting your age from 220 and
multiplying it by 70-85%, because of the beta-blocker.
In the cardiac rehab setting we usually use 70-85% of the highest heart rate
achieved on the pre-exercise stress test, if the medication(s), especially
beta-blockers, were taken before the test. If the medication(s) were held,
the highest heart rate achieved must be further adjusted for these meds;
typically a range of 10-20% more depending on the size and frequency of the
beta-blocker dose and the dose(s) of other medications being taken that may
also be lowering the heart rate. Sometimes this method of calculation is
ineffective; in this case we often use the simple formula of resting heart
rate plus 20 to 30 beats per minute. This range is decided upon based on
whether or not the person is still ischemic (blockages that are preventing
adequate blood flow to the heart), the amount of heart muscle damage from the
heart attack, the ejection fraction and other individual considerations.
In regard to your question about time of day to exercise, in my opinion you
are actually better off to exercise earlier in the day, when your
beta-blocker is having the most efffect on your heart rate. I can't evaluate
this in relation to your condition, because I don't know what the situation
is with your heart's blood flow. In general the effect of the beta-blocker is
to improve blood flow to the heart muscle, so it is better protected from the
potential effects of decreased blood flow and thus you are less likely to
have angina. Hope this is clear and helpful; I will watch for additional
posts from you should you have another question.
Sincerly, Laurie Anderson, RN, BSN

Kinda funny

Kinda funny

It's kinda funny that we should be having this conversation today. As some of you may recall, I went to the EP last week due to some funny happenings with my heart: dropped beats and extreeme shortness of breath. Well, I got a call today from the nurse who said that she has studied the results from the stress test that day, my pacemaker printouts, and the heart monitor stuff I've been sending the last week. She also had several other people look over them as well. The decision that was finally decided upon was that my shortness of breath was caused by my heart beating too fast. So I am to start on a low dose of beta blocker. I have NO problems with this, and had tried to convince the docs down in Houston to send me home with some back in August (since I've been on beta blockers since I was in high school, and they decided to take me off them after an EP study). At least my docs here in Dallas seem to listen to me when I say I'm not feeling right. The ones in Houston just said "Well, you're being paced, so it's not dangerous." But it sure wasn't comfortable!

Anyway, just had to vent. But hopefully this new med will help me get to finally feeling better after this surgery.

Just thought I'd share...

Roy,

Regarding the vigorous exercise, it's my experience that I am able do roughly the same level and amount whether I am on the beta blocker or not. The principal difference is that when my body tells me to slow down, my heart rate is lower (118-28) when on the beta blocker than not (150-65).

If your operation was only ten weeks ago I'm not sure that it's time yet to be evaluating whether you will be able to keep up with the soccer action if you stay on the lopressor.

Good luck.

LKC

AVR - January 2002

My cardio did not seem alarmed, but then, he doesn't seem to get alarmed by anything.
Take a live hand grenade, pull the pin and shove it down his pants. I bet he gets alarmed then! :D

Latest posts

Back