SLEEP Patterns

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALCapshaw

At 8 weeks post op, I find my sleep still comes in short periods, especially the first one. I've also (almost) turned my days and nights around, going to bed around 1 or 2 AM. It seems no matter when I go to bed, I awake in an hour and a half after first falling asleep. Anyone else experience this?

After getting up and reading or fooling around on the computer for a while, I go back to bed and usually manage to get from 3 to 5 hours sleep after which I get up, go to the bathroom, walk 3/4 mile, eat breakfast, and may then take another nap which may last anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours. Does this sound typical?

'AL'

Al,
I'm in my 7th week post-op, and have similar sleep problems. I did discover that beta blocker meds have sleep disturbances listed as a side effect. Also, we've had some major trauma to our bodies, and when we fall into a deep sleep, we tend to do some moving about we are normally not aware of. However, if one has had a sternotomy and the rib cage spread open, this normal movement during sleep can cause some low levels of discomfort which mess with our ability to get back to sleep. My doc says a lot of this goes away after about 12 weeks when the sternum and associated muscles have pretty much healed. Also, once off beta blockers, lots of side effects disappear.

Hope you are otherwise continuing to do well.
Best,
--John

sleep patterns

sleep patterns

Al, read your post on sleeping. I couldn't sleep for 4 wks and thought I would go out of my mind! It would be 4am before fell asleep from exhaustion. Then either the nurse or the lab would show up at 8 am. UGH!! Couldn't take anythig because of the coumadin- it was maddning. Nurses suggested I go to bed an hour before I normally would to get my body ready for sleep. That did help some. Try not to overstimulate yourself with the computer, TV caffine etc. Good Luck! Maureen

I'm having the sleep problem too. Your not alone at all.

My first attempt yields about 1 1/2 hours, then I'm up for around 2 then go back and usually make it 3 to 3 1/2 and then catnap off and on during the day. :(

Let me clarify-I've been like this since my first surgery in 95.
I wonder if it'll get reversed with the surgery Monday?

Sleep aids

Sleep aids

Al..I recently posted under small talk..Sleep aids you may want to read..I have found Tylenol P.M. helps me..No effect on INR. Bonnie

Latest posts

Back