Six month checkup

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

It is hard to believe my AVR was six months ago already! I was a bit apprehensive about going to my checkup, since I wanted everything to be "perfect" but feared that something might not be quite right. So, I went in for my echo in the morning, and had a consultation right after lunch with Dr. King. As he walked in, looking at the echo results, he didn't mince words as he said, "This is just outstanding!" WHEW!!

At the time of surgery, which had been delayed twice, my ejection fraction had seriously deteriorated to 20 percent (55 to 70 percent is normal). Dr. King told me that I was now approaching a "normal" heart, and that I could throw away my ACE inhibitor, leaving me with just a 25 mg. daily dose of Toprol XL (beta blocker). He thought that I would continue to improve and within four to six months could get off that too, leaving me with just a baby aspirin every day.

I was surprised to hear the echo showed slight leakage in both my mitral and tricuspid valves, although Dr. King said that these are pretty inconsequential.

I am so relieved I can hardly believe it! During my surgery, the first valve actually tore. A second valve was implanted, but after being on the heart-lung machine for 10 hours, the bleeding couldn't be stopped initially. There was a point at which my family was told that I had maybe a 50 percent chance of surviving. After a total of 14 hours of surgery, and virtually a whole new supply of blood for my body, the bleeding was reduced enough that they closed me up. I guess I continued bleeding internally through the night, with the surgeon calling every couple hours to see if they needed to re-operate. Fortunately, the bleeding stopped, but within two days I had to have double procedures where they went in through my back with huge needles and HAND PUMPED the excess blood out of me. And I was fully awake, because they needed my feedback on certain feelings in my chest, lungs and shoulders as they did this.

In hind sight, despite the scary stuff, it was all worth it. I got the "green light" to start running again, playing tennis, and whatever else I might want to do. I am thankful and amazed--what a wonderful age we all live in!

--John

That's great news John!

I only hope mine is at least 3/4 as good as yours. So far, it seems my Primary is taking over everybodies specialty. Surgeon hasn't wanted to see me or follow up, same with Cardiologist, Pulmonologist, etc. I think it's almost time for me to stomp on someones toes and find out what the heck is going on. Do you think I'm being a little "ridiculous" here? :eek:

Last edited:
Doctors

Doctors

For the first time today My clinical nurse did not call back when I called my INR in..Just been 2 weeks. I think they get tired of us WELL patients.

Hey John! We made it 6 months!!

Hey John! We made it 6 months!!

Great news on your 6 month checkup!! I'm with Ross, I really don't know what's going on.

When I went to my surgeon at 1 month, he told me my mv repair would last a lifetime, and to "get outta here".

I went to a cardiologist for a 3 month check-up, and didn't find out much. At first the nurse listened to my heart, thought it sounded irregular, but the card didn't agree. He told me I was fine and I should come back in a YEAR. I haven't had an echo since I was released from the hospital, and I guess I'd kinda like to know whether or not my heart has gone back to normal size etc.

I did ask my PCP about having an echo done prior to my other surgery in Oct, and he said he could set one up for me after I was done with all of that. I think I'll take him up on that. Somehow it would just give me peace of mind to KNOW that everything was functioning fine.

I feel okay, and granted, I've had 2 major surgeries in the last 6 months, but I still feel tired most of the time. I guess I was hoping to have more energy after my heart was fixed.

Anyway, congratulations on your good news John, and as for you Ross, I think it's a real miracle that either one of you is still alive and kicking, given all that you both went through.
Praise the Lord
:D

Hey John

Hey John

I am so happy to hear your good news ...enjoy it and go out and do all those things you want to do ....best wishes for a wonderful Christmas and lots and lots of brilliant New Years !!!!!!

And Ross ...go find out what is going on ...you lot over there pay dearly and you are far more clued up on your conditions than we are over here where the Drs think that if they keep our conditions a secret from us ..we won't know what they don't know ...you bang on some drums young lad !
Take care both of you
Scottie

John, you are a miracle. We have not heard all of this before - only part of it. We know you had a truly bad time of it and we almost lost you, but you didn't give details that much. So you lived to tell the story and that is so wonderful. Congratulations on your progress and well wishes for continued progress and good health. God bless

Yup, there is a little Ya-Ya brotherhhood here, a few sisters too.

John-

That's just absolutely fantastic. What more can I say. You are a walking miracle.

My biggest congratulations!

YAY, JOHN!!! I sure hope you're celebrating a bit. God is good, my friend. I wish you many many more years of good checkups.

Evelyn and Tyce

John, after what you've gone through,you deserved a great response, to your follow-up. congratulations

Wasn't that ejection fraction rate near the limit? I have no idea what mine is. they just said its alright.

again, congratulations and I'll put your 6 mnth. follow-up results in my mental list of positive thoughts for future reference.:D

I just noticed Ram looks a bit like Charlton Heston! And yes, Ram, 20 percent ejection fraction is pretty bad. With a leaky and/or stenotic valve, one gets a double whammy. First, the left ventrical gets bigger and thicker as it tries to compensate. But this means that the volume of the ventricle also increases (hence it fills with more blood) so it has to pump even harder to maintain an acceptable ejection fraction. But, it can't continue to keep up, and starts to dilate--getting even bigger--and now the ventricle doesn't have the strength for the yet increased volume. Without the surgery, my days would have been numbered.

Thank you all for your kind words and support! I was just thinking this morning how difficult it would have been to go through all of this without the support of all of you--it would have been terrible!

Jean, getting an echo really does help and I bet if you called your cardiologist and asked, they'd set it up for you. It seems that our healthcare system is more reactive than proactive...often, if you don't ask/demand, you don't get it.

Ross, I am hoping that your 6-month checkup shows on-going improvement. I know that just a few days in the hospital takes a lot out of a person, but with the weeks you spent in the "slammer" I am betting it takes a good year or so to come back. My lungs were really whacked after surgery, but keeping up breathing exercises this whole time did a marvelous job of rehabbing them.

I think there is a "Ya Ya Peoplehood" here. We all share something that simply can not be fully understood by those who have not lived through themselves or with a close family member. What a wonderful group of folks you all are!

--John

Last edited:
hi john!
what wonderful news!!! has it been 6 months already? wow!

when i read your post, i remember joey feeling exactly the same way you did_
worried that he was about to get some bad news ( or just not as good as he had hoped for).

i am so glad you are feeling great and that you got such a wonderful report, especialy after going through what you did.
i'm especially happy to hear you say that it was all worth it. i agree.

please keep feeling well and happy running, tennis, etc!
all the best, sylvia

Hi John,

Glad to hear the good news. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm glad your check-up went so well. Doesn't the time just fly by? Before you know it we'll be congratulating you on your one year check-up and anniversary. Wishing you continued good health. Take care and God Bless!!

Great News John,

And remember each day that today is the first day of the rest of your life. Make each day special and enjoy looking down at the grass.

Hugo

John,

I am so glad your news, from your 6 month check-up, was so fantastic! You went through so much.....I hope you will be able to enjoy life with your new prognosis!!! Remember to live each day to its fullest and count those blessings, big and small!

Congratulations on your 6 month checkup John.

I too just had my 6 month checkup but NO Echo. I was hoping he would do one but he said everything sounded good and he woud do another echo at one year. Makes me wonder, what percentage of VR patients get an Echogram at their 6 month checkup.

As others have indicated, it seems the Cardiologists don't want to see or hear from patients unless they are in dire straights, an unfortunate sign of the times I'm afraid...

I guess the only way to really find out what you've been through is to request a copy of all the records and lab reports.

'AL'

Great going John. Better to have more problems in the short run and less in the long run.

I see my cardiologist and get another echo in January. As nice as he is, I hope that's the last time I have to see him for a while too!

I notice when I'm doing better, I flake out and stay tuned to VR.com less, and when I'm doing worse, I come running back for shelter.

So, John and all the rest of you doing so well, please don't fade away like I tend to do. We need your input and you've been such a help to so many here already.

Take care, John, and Godspeed!

Hey John

Great news on your six month and hopes for continued improvements. I hope mine is as good of news as yours.

I go for my one month to cardo Wednesday. I went to my surgeon last week and he said all sounded good. If I need any thing else done I'd better do it within the next ten years, as he's going to retire (HAHA). Will post results later.

Any way keep up the good work.

Happy to hear that you are doing so well.

Wish my cardiologist had wanted to see me at six months. I went 6 weeks post op and he said see you in a year.

I agree with Al they are so busy that they don't want to waste time.

I guess I should feel happy that I am well enough not to need the close watch??

Anyway best wishes and continued good results to you.

Bill

John ,Congratulations on your Six month checkup.
This is wonderful to feel so much better after all.
I hope after your next checkup you will get off beta blocker too.
I had my Six month checkup with the echo done a month or so ago and the only concern I had was a kind of high gradient level with my mechanical valve.
However, according to my doc everything sounded good and I should not pay attention to the gradient at this stage as it might not be as accurate.

Best wishes and take care of yourself.

Back