Six month checkup question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granbonny

I called today to make my 6 month checkup between @Sept. 25 (6 Months) and Oct. 10th (3 months since I saw Cardiologist) For 3 1/2 min. saying you are fine, see you in 3 months....so I say to the person on the phone. Will I get an echo??She says for me to leave a message on phone..clinical nurse. Well, I come in at 5:09..message saying they would close at 5..to call them back about my wanting to get an echo...NOW, my question..should I insist on one..if she says that my Cardiologist doesn't think I need one..when I call tomorrow. Looks like she would have said on the message, yes you do....POLL: How many of you had 1 at 6 months???Many thanks, Bonnie

Hi Bonny

Don't know if you got the messages I've been sending you or if they're still floating around in cyberspace, but I definitely wrote you 2 answers to your message, and then it seemed as though they weren't sent because the d..n screen said I wasn't logged in , which I was, but anyway, was wondering whether you got them.

Secondly, I would definitely insist on an echo. Tyce has already had one---less than a week after surgery, and will have a second one 3 mos. and 6 mos. postop---don't know why, just the way they do it.

Chat later, have to go feed dogs.

Evelyn

Thanks Evelyn

Thanks Evelyn

Not getting your private messages. Sorry..Will let you know what they say tomorrow about me having an echo???Insurance is paying 100% of everything. Shouldn't be money. Bonnie

Good question! I had an echo at 1 yr. after I switched cardios. It has now been 2 yrs and no tests on the horizon. I wonder if going a year without anything being done is ok. It makes me a little jumpy not being more closely monitored. I enjoy not seeing docs all the time (as in the past) but, still and all, this isn't your everyday happening having a heart valve replaced. Anyone here having more monitoring than this? Now don't make me nervous! :)

I had one at six months and one at 12.
This is a good question. You should set up the polling feature and see what kind of response we get.
k

Hi,

I had an echo at 6 months. My vascular surgeon said he wanted it as a "Base line". He would refer back to that should I have any setbacks in the future. I haven't had one since.

I did have a CT Scan every 6 months, which was just changed to once a year. The CT SCan is to monitor my dissection and also to watch for any expansion of the aneurysms.

Rob

I have my first regular echo scheduled for 9-19, which is ten months, ten days after surgery. I am very much looking forward to learning if my heart is now normal size, and what my EF is.
I did have a special echo less than two months after surgery, but that was only because I have have arrhythmia problems; that showed that my EF was low.

Echos

Echos

I had an echo before I was released from the hospital, one at 6 mos., one at 1 yr and now one yearly. I feel comfortable knowing I am being monitored. It helps to have insurance to take care of the bill.

I also had an echo at six months, at one year, and now yearly. It will be continued at one year intervals or more frequent if I develop shortness of breath, chest pain, etc. because unfortunately, I had the Silzone impregnated valve installed.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I called today and the Clinical nurse didn't know..said just to come for follow-up 6 mo...and if he thinks you need one..they would do it then,,down the hall at his office...I'll probably ask for one...

For the poll:

My husband had his first echo at three weeks, the second at two months, the third at six months, the fourth at nine months. But, he does have remaining issues, so that probably explains why!!

Mb

Is that what I can look forward to?

Is that what I can look forward to?

Hi Bonnie,

I was going to post this question on my own, and ask what I can expect at my 3 month checkup on Wed. , but since you mentioned seeing the cardiologist at 3 months for a 3 1/2 minute visit, I'm wondering if that's what I get to look forward to too.

Is it one of those things where they ask you a couple of questions, and then tell you to "get lost, you're fine"? I hope not. That was pretty much what my 1 month visit with the cardiac surgeon was.

I thought at the very least, they might do a chest x-ray to see if the sternum is healed, (it doesn't feel like it is yet) otherwise, how do they know whether to lift or at least raise the weight-lifting restriction?

I did have 2 echo's in the hospital, but it would be nice to know if my heart is back to normal size. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure they're all different.

Good luck, Jean

I went to the surgeon with a long mental list of questions, and had time for only one or two before he was out the door. He's a good surgeon, but not a people person.
My cardiologist's assistant had much more time for me, and more understandable answers than my cardiologist. Ask the questions of the assistant, even before the cardiologist comes in.

3 mnth check up

3 mnth check up

all i can tell you is my experience.. i had a echo before i left the hospital and one just last week at my 3 mnth visit with cardio.. before hand, we just did a meet and greet for 10 minutes each month.. (you know, breath in breath out , bp and pulse.. any pains, etc..) he did tell me at my first month checkup that i could do anything that i could handle.. keeping my sternum healing in mind.. my surgeon did a chest x-ray after 3wks home and released me from his care (unless i had questions or problems later) the rule of thumb i was given and reinforced at rehab is 6-8wks after surgery - keep it under 10lbs.. after that, slowly rebuild your muscles.. they also told me it takes 90 days to completly heal the sternum - so now at 87 days, i do what feels ok to me.. which is most of what if not more (thanks to rehab) that i used to do before surgery.. if in doubt about your bones healing, by all means ask for a xray...

now if any one any ideas on stiff necks... think i turned my waterbed down to much the other day.. woke up stiff this morning.. :D

have a great on
christine

I think I have already posted this somewhere not too long ago, but it maybe needs saying again...I had an echo before I left the hospital, one at 6 mos. and one at a year and one yearly since...just to keep tabs,nothing wrong - just looking.

Hi Bonnie!

For the Poll: At four months, I had an echo, chest x-ray, holter monitor, and EKG. When I was released from the hospital, the surgeon said I would be coming back for an echo at one year. But then my cardio (at Mayo Clinic) called unexpectedly and said he wanted all these tests at four months. Why? I don't know, but I was glad to go! Tomorrow I go back to my local cardio, to touch base regarding the results of the four-month tests. I'm hoping he will decide to take me off the ACE Inhibitor...??!!!

I hope your checkup goes well, regardless!!

Jennie

Echocardiogram

Echocardiogram

Granbonny:

How are you feeling? If you think you need one because of problems, I'd insist on it.

They gave me an echo at the six month and now give them yearly even though I have the recalled St. Jude aortic valve with the silizone seal. Apparently they think that's often enough for me.

RON P.

Hi Bonnie and all,

I have my cardio visit set for Oct. 8th which will be around my 6 months and asked if I will be having an echo and the cardio says there is no need for one, That I will be having one in January. Because of the pericaditis I had 4 echos in May to June following surgery and the progression of the pericarditis. I got a clean bill of health after the pericarditis was resolved and set the appt. for Oct. I also have concerns that I should have an echo because I know pericarditis has a possibility of recurring. I have full confidence in my cardio but think waiting until January is a bit concerning to me. I had no symptoms when I had the pericarditis. I know when I see her she will give me an exam and I'm sure give me an echo if she thinks it is necessary. Along with many of you I think waiting 6 months to a year is a little long considering what we went through. Well, Just wanted to voice my opinion and concerns many of you have. I'll see what happens at my October visit. I'll be sure to keep you all updated. Everyone take care and be well.

Hi B

Quick addendum....Tyce had his cardio visit last Friday and is scheduled for another visit in 6 weeks. At that time our cardio told him they will do another echo....that makes it about 18 weeks or 4-5 months post surgery. This is his second echo since his surgery on 6/26. All is well, but they just keep an eye on him. I definitely would rather have it this way! Don't know if it's any help in your "poll," but thought I'd add it anyway.

Evelyn

PS....my tile is done and we're back living in our house.....of course, being the idiot I am, I've decided to do more around my fireplace and all the way down my hall to the bedrooms, so they'll be back in a month or two.......I AM a glutton for punishment!!

No News

No News

I guess is good news...I had my echo done Sept. 6..12 days ago. No word from Card's office. I see him Oct. 1st for 6 month checkup. I asked nurse doing echo..is my heart smaller now and she said yes..nothing to worry about...Now I have another question. How long is it normal to go see my Cardiologist after the 6 month checkup? Another 6 months or a year? I want to make an appointment with my PCP after I see Cardiologist. I would rather be under his care for b/p, ect...but will remain with Cardiologist office reporting my INR levels..Coumadin dosage (Clinical nurse has kept me at same dosage now for 3 months) From what I read ..Al would approve of that.....Bonnie:)

Back