Side and tummy sleeper....how long after surgery will i be on my back??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mass General does not let their OHS patients go home until they walk a flight of stairs. I did so easily after both my surgeries and from day one home each time went up and down several times throughout the day. The trick is to be very careful when holding the handrail that you are not pulling yourself up the stairs. Hold on for safety and balance but let your legs do the work.

Shellbell,

I am 3 months post op. I to am a stomach sleeper. I slept in a recliner for a couple of nights downstairs and that wasn't very comfortable so I moved to the sofa for two weeks which forced me to sleep on my side. Moved upstairs to my bed then and use those rolled pillows (since I have a queen bed) to keep me from rolling over on my stomach. It worked. After 7 weeks I finally was able to lay on my stomach without being "scared". I went up the steps twice a day and had to sit down when I got to the top to rest for the first 3 weeks. Now 3 months out I am walking 2 miles in the mornings and around 5 miles daily doing my normal activities. I am feeling better than I have in 10 years. Didn't know all those other aches and pains were related to my heart valve. I still have some upper back and neck pain, although nothing that is not bearable. Going to get a massage helps with that! :D. The surgery and the recovery was way easier than I thought it would be and you will do fine also. Fear is normal and everyone here sure helped me get through it all.

Side and tummy sleeper....how long after surgery will i be on my back??

Quick Tip: I was able to sleep on my side fairly soon after my mini sternotomy as long as I had a stiff pillow or cushion to "hug". This kept my chest more flat. As long as my chest was flat there was minimal pain in my sternum.

Shellbell -- I've been sleeping comfortably on my stomach for the past three nights (beginning on my three-week anniversary), and it feels yummy, let me tell you! I couldn't do it before then because the pressure made my incision hurt. So I would suggest giving it a try every night or so beginning at two weeks post-op and listen to your body.

Also, pillows will be your new best friends. For the first week or so after I got home I was sleeping with five: two under my head, one on each side so I could roll partway onto my side for variety's sake, and one under my knees. Now I'm down to two: one under my head, and the other one shifting around depending on where I need it to go.

I started sleeping on my side at about 4 weeks, and on my stomach at about 5 weeks, though on my stomach isn't really that comfortable yet. Whether side or stomach, I sometimes wake up a little sore, but nothing so bad that I need to take anything. Despite the soreness, it felt great to have the option. Being propped up, on my back, night after night after night got really tedious.

Get a foam wedge before you go in. I got a lot of use out of mine. The stairs will be no problem. Nighttime was the worst time for me. I couldn't wait for morning and getting out of bed. Naps? Yea baby! Naps were fine.

Latest posts

Back