Shout out to those in love...with their hair!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyChicken

Men or ladies, let's talk about hair! From the reading I have been doing these days, it appears that hair loss seems to go hand in hand with Warfarin. My question is this: how many of you have experienced permanent hair loss/thinning as a result of warfarin (not the temporary hair loss that occurs shortly after surgery). Hair loss seems extremely trivial compared to loss of life, however, I'm a lady with a head filled with pre/post surgery fears as well as a long blonde strands of pure flowing magic, and I'd like to know if I'm going to have to part with said magic lol. Anyone have any insight into this sort of thing?

Yes. I lost tons of hair. I thought it was when they switched me from warfarin to Jantoven. Turns out I was severely anemic due to warfarin and the associated heavy periods (I had almost no iron left my body). I went on iron pills and now all is good!

Well I can't say that I'm in love with my hair, but I can say that I haven't had any noticeable loss of hair in the six years since going on Coumadin at 53, which would be a time period when a man could expect to lose some hair. Since I still have a full head of hair maybe the Coumadin is actually an antidote against baldness!

LadyChicken;n878408 said:
long blonde strands of pure flowing magic, and I'd like to know if I'm going to have to part with said magic lol. Anyone have any insight into this sort of thing?
I can totally relate. I'm like My Little Pony with my hair. All I have to do is rub my noggin and magic **** happens.

Seriously, no hair loss my end :)

I remember when my dad had AVR when I was 8ish, he was cooking up all these herbal remedies to rub on his head so the warfarin wouldn't take his hair :)
The thing was he had had a head injury from a car crash years earlier and didn't have the thickest mop top to start with, he's still got about the same amount of hair I reckon as then
and he has his comb over exceptionally well trained !!

I am not particularly in love with my hair, but in the 3 years I have been on warfarin I haven't noticed any difference in thickness. However, I am on a daily Ferrous Fumarate tablet (iron tablets) to counter anaemia which is apparently being caused by my mechanical valve damaging red blood cells. My Cardiologist said this is not uncommon. So if you are anaemic maybe that is why, and you need to take iron tablets?

Other than the natural thinning that comes with age, I still have most of my hair even tho I keep it short (short burr in summer and long burr in winter). My father still had most of his hair when he died at 82.

Back