Shoulder pain?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Marie

My left shoulder has really been aching for the past two days. It's a gnawing pain. I'm pretty tough when it comes to pain and since the day after surgery (surgery was Apr.24) have only needed extra strength tylenol, and the past week I haven't needed anything for pain, but now I've broken open the bottle of tylenol#2s.

I expected some shoulder soreness, but thought it would be right after surgery, it's been 3 weeks since my surgery. I'm wondering if sleeping on my back semi-reclined is not a good position for my shoulder to be in. I go to bed with a pillow supporting my arm, but for all I know it hangs down while I sleep.

Any thoughts? Other than the gnawing, peircing, grating, shoulder pain, I feel fantastic:D

The shoulder pain is probably normal, and a result of the surgery. It can last a long time, but isn't severe. If it is more severe, which yours sounds like, you should have it checked out.

I'm eighteen months post surgery, and I still sometimes need a special sleep position. It seems to be more comfortable when I put both arms forward.

Oh, yeah, been there

Oh, yeah, been there

A-M, you need to exercise that shoulder. I know how it hurts, but you need to keep it loose. It probably started with the surgery, since they do pretty ugly things with your arms:eek: but certainly the limited range of motion you have post-surgery, and the sleeping in one position all night, and the reduction in activity combine to make things worse.

If you can get down on the floor (more to the point - can you get back up?), put arms out to the side, then bend elbows to right angle pointing up (toward top of head). Slide arms along floor slowly until up over your head, keeping arms on floor as much as possible; then move them back down to starting position. It's very simple and helpful. This was an exercise the physiotherapist in my cardiac rehab gave me because I had such pain in my shoulder - kindof like tendonitis. It puts very little strain on you or your shoulder (except, as I said, you need to be able to get up from floor, so maybe you should wait until your hubby's home).

It also never hurts to ice the shoulder a couple times a day.

Good to hear the all's well except for shoulder. Is your family also doing well having you out of commission? Will you start cardiac rehab soon? Gosh - maybe typing on the pc is hurting your shoulder . . .:(

Here I sit almost 10 months out and last night I slept on my side for a while. Shoulder hurts just like it did after surgery. I know I'm falling apart but sheesh.

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie

3 weeks is very normal for you to still have pain in your shoulder.Being the Mother-Hen of VR..that's why I get upset with our post-op members who try to drive too soon, lift heavy things (like wet clothes out of washer) :eek: Try to get a family member to give you a nice, long massage .Take those pain meds..Takes a long time to heal..I still cannot windex windows without a sharp pain..Never reach out too soon with your arms:eek: :eek: Bonnie

Keep moving

Keep moving

Anne Marie- We got out of surgery at about the same time. Try to keep that shoulder moving with light excercise, some massage and some heat and it will eventually be pain free. I'm still sore at the very top of the incision, and at the right pectoral muscle. Feels like they got a nerve or something. I hate sleeping on my back, so I'm looking forward to additional healing and sleeping on my sides again. As for washing windows Bonnie, Thanks, now I've got an excuse not to do that. Chris

Hi I'm 2 months out of surgery and the same thing happened to me left shoulderect....I thought I had a periocardic(sp)inflamation of the sack around the heart... boy was I scared turned out to be just pains in the shoulder but it did hurt!!!!I'm also still having slight pains when I breath but the doctor says that will take awhile to get over.Take care and know we are all in the same boat.Hugs Shana23:) :) :) :)

Thanks to everyone for responding!

I think the shoulder needs exercise. I hadn't really been doing the specific exercises the physiotherapist gave me, because I was feeling so well and wasn't having the usual back and shoulder soreness.

I'll try those exercises Georgia, but I'm not sure about lying flat! I don't think it's typing at the computer that's the problem, more than likely reading what other people type is adding to it. I noticed that while I'm clicking and reading (much easy that thinking and typing my own words) I have my left elbow on the desk and I rest my head on my hand.

Ross, I feel almost guilty that I've had it pretty easy compared to what some of you have been through!

I do find it strange that in the hospital I was quite comfortable with plain tylenol. When I got home I moved up to extra strength tylenol and now I'm using the tylenol with codeine. Maybe my nerve endings are just coming back to life!

Thank you again!

I am 17 weeks out from MVR and occasionally I get left shoulder arm pain at night. Just aches for awhile and then I fall asleep again. Am going to ask my cardio at our next visit. Kinds of makes me think what I dont want to think about.

sleeping with your arm raised?

sleeping with your arm raised?

I had terrible shoulder pain as well. I determined that mine was because I was sleeping with my arm up being my head which puts terrible strain on the shoulder. It must have been more comfortable in some way but then the shoulder started hurting.

The solution? I actually had to tie my arm to my side by tieing a loose bathrobe belt around my hand and around my waist (only while I slept). It was goofy but I slept fine and after a little while the shoulder pain went away.

Also, the pain could just be from the incision where they hooked you on the pump, they have to cut muscle sometimes and that can hurt while it heals.

Good luck

hi

hi

I am nine months post op and still have shoulder trouble ...I now have a frozen shoulder and the Dr did say this could be as a result of not exercising it after the op ...(although to be fair ,..I was never told to exercise it ) ...also it could be related to a previous car accident ...only reason I wrote was to tell you ...if they recommended exercises to you then you should probably do them so that you don't end up like me ...Take care
Scottie

Thanks Bob, Bunk and Scottie,

I saw my surgeon Tuesday and he mentioned that I still had a bit of pleural effision, which will probably go away with exercise. The shoulder pain only lasted 2 days, but could have been lack of exercise, or could have been radiating pain from the effusion.

I'm feeling much better this week and last night I slept on my side...woohoo!

Back