Should I Sell My House Before Surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temp69

I am going nuts! I have upcoming OHS for AVR and AR and someone's made a great offer on my house. I know it's smart financially, and I worry that I'm in a win/win or worse, lose/lose situation. If I sell, when I come out of surgery I might regret it -- we love our house! But if I DON'T sell, and the market takes a dive, then I'll be sorry I "wimped out."

The buys will allow us four months escrow. Is this enough time for recovery?

Thanks for your help! I hope you can weigh in on this because it's stressing me out bigtime.

Temp69:

Moving house is very stressful, your surgery will be very stressful. What about looking for alternative accomodation, that is going to be stressful unless you have somewhere already lined up.

When I was having my children we were advised NOT to move house near the same time because of the stress, we didn't plan it that way but we ended up moving three days before I was hospitalised to have the birth induced the following day. I don't recommend it to anyone.

My personal opinion is not to do it, but that is only me. If you feel it is the right thing for you then go ahead.

On the health front - I had both MVR and AVR and I don't think I would have been up to moving within four months, far too much to do in preparation.

If you choose to do this, there's one issue: you will NOT be able to do anything to help with the move. You could probably wrap some of the crystal & china, but that's it. You have to proceed with this in mind. So I think you need to consider having the move done professionally. And the cleaning.

What about finding a temp apartment? And having everything put in storage pending full recovery?

I think 4 mos. will be cutting it very fine.

No one can make the decision for you. If all were equal, I'd say don't even think about it. But if it's terrific financially, who am I to say?

I went back to work at 12 weeks; the stress from work was all I could manage. If I'd been trying to move - heck, if we'd been painting the livingroom - it would have been over the top for me. Your ohs is the elephant in the livingroom - you just can't ignore it.

Best of luck; I hope all works out well for you.

I can see your point, but honestly, forget the sale and worry about yourself right now. Your very health is at stake and is more important then material objects and money at this point. Recover, then sell.

you didn't specify why your were moving.. if it is because you 'need' to relocate.. then I guess you have no choice.. sell and do as much preparation before surgery..
I moved 3 times within 6weeks of having a c-section... it was murder!
I am only 4 weeks post-op and would be driving myself crazy if I knew I needed to pack for my move.. but then again.. 2 months from now I may feel GREAT! it is hard to predict.

If you are selling b/c you want to catch the market at the right time.. I say..forget it.. wAy too much stress and hassle that you do not/ will not need.

Best to you on the upcoming surgery.

I agree with above. Surgery and recovery is hard enough without the stress of moving. Your main focus should be you. Everyone else's focus also needs to be you for a while. You are going to want to be nice and cozy in your own place with your things around you while you recover. I would let the market do its thing and deal with selling later.

There really is "No place like home" for recovery. Stick with what you have now - surgery is enough change in your life at the moment.
If this great offer came unexpectedly, it could be because the "buyer" knows something you do not. You might get an even better offer down the road when you are better equipped to handle the stress.

Ditto, ditto, ditto to what others have already stated. Dorthy was right " there is no place like home." My bet is that if you asked your cardiologist, he or she will probably say the same thing.

Karl

Do you have a surgery date? Ran your profile and didn't see one..If it is months off and you have an idea of where you want to move..and have time to buy a new house..than I would say, sell.....If you are close to a surgery date..I would say, no..........Saw you are age 55.......maybe no school age kids...My daughter just sold her's..same thing. too good of an offer..Now, she is faced with finding a new one, schools, ect. driving them crazy....They are paying new owners same rent as mortgage was...no time frame..but every month's rent is money they want see again.:eek: Plus, I dread..when they find a new one..married 8 years before the 2 New Russian children, they adopted last year. Lots of stuff..and yard sales's don't help...:eek: ..We went down today and brought a lot of her boxed up things..just to donate to a local thrift shop......If you really want to move.I would sugest tying to rid things NOW..that you don't need anymore. bonnie

If you feel pressured to sell because you think the housing market will tank, then don't. The market isn't going to tank anytime soon. The Fed's next meeting isn't until the end of June, and it's only 50/50 as to whether or not they'll raise rates. If the Fed doesn't raise rates, it will be a nice boost to the housing market. Even if the Fed does raise rates, it will only be by 0.25% and not enough to cause the housing market, or specifically your house price, to tank. I would focus on the surgery.

Back