shooting sports?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definitely going to look into extra padding. I can't get over how quickly I am bruising lately. Here is my latest addition for home defense...
.20g Mossberg

I'm 9 months post surgery. Last week I completed a fairly tough one week training course on the Glock Model 19 pistol for the government. Shot thousands of rounds and was moving and huffing for certain evolutions. Felt great.

I'm going in for aortic root aneurysm work on 10/21/09. I haven't had a chance to bring it up with my doc yet, but what is the typical recommendation for the amount of time to wait after surgery before engaging in shooting sports? I'm in no rush to get back to it, but I have a new AR-15 I haven't fired yet, plus my Mosin-Nagant has been feeling unloved for a while now.

It takes about 5-6 months for the chest to fully heal, at least that is what I was told. I would think that the AR-15 is something you could shoot sooner, maybe 3 months to be safe. Anything heavier I would wait 6 mos.

Dorsai,

AR-15 & Mosin Nagant....Shooty-goodness! :D

Tass

And with the built-in bayonet, the Mosin isn't just shooty, it's shooty-stabby goodness! :)

But, I think I'll be leaving it in the safe until next summer, along the lines of what Tom suggested. I like shooting, but I like having a functional and intact chest even more.

Not into sport shooting but wife and I have shot pistols for many years and still do. We've both had our CCW permits for 11 years. I've reloaded .357 and .38 SPL for the last 35 years. We still enjoy target practice at our farm. I also have a a Remington 870 12 ga and hunted blue quail when we lived in Texas. Also reloaded 12 ga.

These below are for carry. ;)

orig.jpg

Yeah, then you stopped reloading right when I needed you. :mad::D

Hmmm... It has been 6 months since my surgery and I haven't been to the range yet with my Steyr AUG. Man, I miss shooting that thing. :)

I suppose by now I should be able to shoot it without too much soreness. I totally missed this thread. As soon as the wife gives birth (in February), I'm taking her to a carbine course.

Went to my 'fun' day at the range...a full day of seminars/mini-clinics. Had a ball in the tactical shotgun class. We drilled for about 30 minutes solid and I still felt pretty out of breath for a while after the class. Has some seriously sore muscles on Sunday after from the repeated drills (mental note...must get a sling).

Tass

I ended up with a superficial vein thrombosis in my forearm after shooting a 41mag for about 100 rounds. It felt like an earthworm under my skin. Don't know if that was some sort of hemorage thing associated with my coumadin or not. Deffinately sold the gun after that. Took 2 months to go away.

Latest posts

Back