Severe Sore Throat?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Perrster

Have any of my fellow Coumadiners ever suffered from a severe sore throat or Laryngitis(sp?)?

Mine has been killing me for two days and I've left work early both days. Day three now and it's still sore. I'll try work again. My voice is shot.

I think I've just picked up a pretty darn bad cold. Lots of throat gunk coming out...sorry, yes very gross!

Can't take no OTC meds, but I've been using Cepacol throat lozenges and taken a couple of Tylenols and Benadryl. I've also taken a couple of my pre-dental Ammoxicillins (sp?).

Probable cause: last weekend's weather was so beautiful here in the midwest. I was traveling and had the top down and letting the air flow. Never got lost once! Saturday night I attended a hometown sports charity event where a lot of people (approx. 150) were smoking. I would go outside to catch some air and there would be 10 people standing around smoking there too!

I think the ol' immune system just has a short fuse. Next time I'm in this situation, I'm just leaving!

Last edited:
Now, Perry. You and I both know that when you are bringing up stuff, that's infection. Now get to your dr and get some proper medication and then take it til it's gone!! God bless

Perry, Perry, Perry

Perry, Perry, Perry

CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!!
I have had a few sore throats over the years and have found the chloroseptic spray helpful, it numbs the throat. Nevertheless, call your doctor to make sure you don't have strep throat - you silly goose. LOL.

Take Care and hope you feel better soon.

Tammy

MVR 04/06/89

Hi Perry,

I get larengitus every year, and have had strep twice now. Even this spring I got it again. The doctor didn't think I did, and didn't want to do the test, but I insisted. Just didn't feel good, and he was so surprised that it came back positive. He said:
"You fooled us", which I did not, just came in for a test, just to be sure.
Go to the doctor and sit there until they do a test. You have to be careful!

Christina
Aortic Stenosis
AVR' 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical.

Hey perry-

Strep throat is nothing to fool around with. Go now and find out about it.

Just ask my husband who has 3 open heart surgeries because he had rheumatic fever when he was young.

Hi Perry,

I just went through a very similar situation. Good autumn weather and I was ready to put on the sun block, Well, too few cloths got to my throat too. I was flu-like for about a week.

I have to agree witht he others, don't mess around with strep-throat. If you do not feel better real soon, it is better to be safe than sorrty. They can do a quick test, and let you know if you have it. Last year I did that, they also put me on antibiodics just in case becuase sometimes the quick test is less accurate than the lab results. I started to take the drugs, but as soon as they called and confirmed the lab results were also negative, they told me to get off the drugs. and, YES, they did spike my INR. But, better to control that than deal with a more serious problem.

Go to the doctor.. get some peace of mind.

Wishing you good health,

Rob

THANKS EVERYBODY!

THANKS EVERYBODY!

I'm seeing the doc this afternoon.

Had I NOT seen your almost instantaneous replies I probably would have kept right on trying to remedy it on my own!

What a dumn a_ _ I am, trying to downplay my high maintenance needs.

Your care and concerns are very, very much appreciated. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thank you.

Better safe than sorry!

Better safe than sorry!

Hey Perry,

The very first time I saw my cardio he told me to see a doctor immediately anytime I thought I had an infection.

Take care,
Rain

good move

good move

my hsuband had endocarditus (sms) 18 years ago! i understand infections can be virul or bacterial. bacterial being the only one that responds to antibiotics and more serious. they first told him he had the flu and sent him home, 4 days later in the hospital fighting for his life! i dont want this to scare you. i understand you dont want to feel high maintenance. believe me. but my husband has gone 18 years with the pig valves and n0ow has st jude mech. all he does is if he feels sick (especially any fever) he goes to the dr NOW. really no different than anyone else, just a few days sooner. they should take blood and i dont believe they should give you antibiotics unless they identify the infection. he really leads a normal life. you are just doing what everyone should do. but if the infection gets into your bloodstream, it seems to go to the weekest part of your body...heartvalves and u could end up with endocarditus...how do u spell that??? sher :)

Hi Perry,

Two months postop I had a sore throat and what I thought was an ear infection. After a couple of days it didn't do away, and I went straight to the doctor, who immediately did the test for strep. It turned out to be negative, but it was better to be safe than sorry. He gave me some antibiotics and it went away. My doctor had told me the same thing Rains doctor told her. If I get sick, immediately go to the doctor. We are so limited on what we can take, being on Coumadin. Glad to hear you're going to the doctor this afternoon. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Better

Better

I've got Bronchitis (sp?). No strep. Picked up a motherload of antibiotics (Amoxicillin) to take for about 10 days along with a 4-day run of Zithromax.

Will test INR on Friday or Monday. Rob, I wonder how far these antibiotics will sway the chart? Doc said it can effect INR in some but not all of us.

Thank you one and all again for your responses AND help! Like I said, it was due to VR.COM that I called the doc and no other reason.

Cheers!

Just wanted to thank you for listening to all these good people. I even have to be careful when the weather turns. I used to smoke till nine months ago and now I will be able to tell if I have a cold or sinus problems, either one can go into infection. Never play with a soar throat either. Thanks for listening and take care. I had the same thing quite a few years ago and it took two months to get over it. It is crap trapped in the lungs and take awahile for it to clear up. You hang in there. Take all the antibiotics and rest. And lots of liquids. Yes, no kids but I am a mother hen at times. You gett better soon.

Caroline
Aortic valve replacement
09-13-01
St. Jude's valve

Every day??!

Every day??!

I'm much more better, thank you!

Throat is no longer sore and my other symptoms are beginning to dry up-literally.

But, I will finish the antibotics and then post my INR next week on the thread that RobThatsMe started. Now he could use some of your encouragement!

Thanks again, all.

Cheers!

Hi Hensylee,

Thanks... I seem to be getting better. My foot feels better today than it has over the last 3 days. I think the medicine is working! YEY!!!!!!

How are things in the sunny south? IT was 34 here in Nashville today, but the high will get to about 68. I love the fall weather!

Rob

Glad to hear things are getting better. Nice weather you're having. Ours is nice too - low 40's in the morning and mid 70's later. No a/c and very little heat, if any, at night. Means bill is lower. But it is so beautiful outside - I can certainly utilize my front porch a lot just sittin and a rockin and watchin the world go by.

Take care of your foot - hope it continues to get better. God bless:D

Latest posts

Back